The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com>
To: Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu>
Cc: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Capitalization question: UNIX/Unix and MULTICS/Multics?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 20:34:20 -0400	[thread overview]

Thank you, Doug.

I wrote to Brian, who responded very quickly, suggesting that he was likely
mistaken. He's going to make a note in the errata for his memoir.

Tom Van Vleck also wrote saying that he was unaware of there ever being an
acronymic rendering, and that he recalled an early meeting in which Jerry
Saltzer was quite adamant that Multics was a proper noun, not an acronym,
and therefore mixed-case. He did say that occasionally people joining the
project would mistakenly write 'MULTICS' until corrected; apparently some
of the GE folks in Phoenix were in the habit of doing this, perhaps due to
prior familiarity with GECOS.

        - Dan C.