On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:50 AM wrote: > 7 Jan 2020 02:32:11 Doug McIlroy : > > Sam was the first screen editor that I deemed worthwhile, and I > > still use it today. > > I would like to experiment with Sam and run it on various *nix operating > systems. There seems to be many ports. > > Do I need to install some kind of Plan 9 emulation layer (in user space), > which Sam builds and runs on? Obviously I'm referring to Russ Cox's > libraries and user space tools. > > Is it necessary to have a p9 environment to gain the most advantage of a > tool like Sam? Or, is it possible for it still to function well as a > transplant in a new environment such as *nix? > > In that second case, what are the well ported versions of Sam that build > and run directly on the target environment? > It is not necessary to have a plan 9 environment to take advantage of Sam, and there was once a port for Unix that worked outside of the usual Plan 9 world. Indeed, Sam got its start on Unix. However, I dare say that the best port to use is the one from plan9port: Sam continued to evolve on plan9, if only gaining incremental improvements after the early Unix years. By using the plan9port version, you'll pick up on those changes (though I can't really enumerate them anymore). - Dan C.