On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 12:57 PM Jon Steinhart wrote: > Douglas McIlroy writes: > > APL is a fascinating invention, but can be so compact as to be > > inscrutable. (I confess not to have practiced APL enough to become > > fluent.) In the same vein, Haskell's powerful higher-level functions > > make middling fragments of code very clear, but can compress large > > code to opacity. Jeremy Gibbons, a high priest of functional > > programming, even wrote a paper about deconstructing such wonders for > > improved readability. > > Wasn't Perl created to fill this void? > I thought Perl was a reaction to exceeding awk's tolerance for abuse? - Dan C.