On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 11:28 AM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 09:59:26AM -0400, Dan Cross wrote: > > Of course, by 1976, Unix was at 6th Edition and I can see why no one > would > > want to go back to Multics (or being tied to a machine costing an order > of > > magnitude more than a PDP-11). But one wonders what would have happened > had > > Multics started accepting timesharing, say, 9 months earlier than it did. > > Do we have any people around who actively used Multics long enough to > develop a feel for it? My only experience is the printout that Rob > Gingell had on his office door which was a description of Multics > paging in library after library before it actually ran the program. > I have no idea if it was that bad. > > I guess what I'm trying to ask is if Multics had modern hardware > under it, performed well, would we want to be running it? > I'm running Multics under emulation at home and I think it's actually pretty cool. I imagine that both Doug and Ken would remember it pretty well? - Dan C.