On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 4:59 AM Rob Pike wrote: > My general mood about the current standard way of nerd working is how > unimaginative and old-fashioned it feels. There are countless ways we could > be interacting with our terminals, editors, and shells while we program, > but for various sociological and historical reasons we're pretty much using > one from decades ago. I'm sure it's productive for almost everyone, but it > seems dull to me. We could be doing something much more dynamic. I mean, > xterm is hardly more sophisticated than the lame terminal code that ran in > mpx (ca. 1982), other than colors and cursor addressing, which date from > the 1960s via early PCs. IDEs don't sing to me, although they are powerful, > because they don't integrate well with the environment, only with the > language. And they are just lots of features, not a coherent vision. No > model to speak of. > > Compare what happened with our shell windows with what happened with our > "smart" phones in the last 20 years and you'll get some inkling of what I > think we're missing. It's not that we should program the way we use > iPhones, but that there are fields where user interface work has made a > real different recently. Not so in programming, though. We're missing out. > What do you think of thinks like Jupyter or Lighttable? The early demos for the latter, I thought, were particularly compelling (though sadly the current implementation seems like much more of a traditional text editor and far removed from the original vision). Compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58-n7uldoU to www.youtube.com/watch?v=52SVAMM3V78 But I'm a grumpy old man and getting far off topic. Warren should cry, > "enough!". > One of the reasons we study history is to understand the present and inform our decisions for the future. Personally, I enjoy these sorts of explorations of where we might have done things differently. - Dan C.