The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] RIP Ray Tomlinson
@ 2018-03-04 20:30 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-03-04 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

We lost Ray Tomlinson on this day in 2016; known as the inventor of email,
he sent the first message between two hosts on the ARPAnet (prior to that
the users had to be on the same host), and pioneered the use of the "@"
sign.

In the meantime, some tosser (his name is not important) is claiming that
he invented email first; I recall that APL\360 had a "mailbox" facility,
but it certainly didn't use "@".

* [TUHS] RIP Ray Tomlinson
@ 2018-03-04 23:55 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-03-04 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > But the concept of email goes way back.

> Indeed, it does, but only on the same system.

Very far back. CTSS had a mail utility.

If communication within one system is not
recognized as email, then the exchange that
opened in Boston in 1877 was not a
telephone system.

Doug