On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 1:49 PM Clem Cole wrote: > [snip] > FWIW: Through the 60s, the early and into the later 70s, CMU used to call > its 15-104 "Intro to Computer Programming" and was based on batch (card) > computing using FTN4, later WATFIV. They used a number of books. The book > I had was from Waterloo and other than being blue and black in color, I > remember little from it - since I already knew how and the TA let me take > 'self-taught' by turning in assignments/taking the tests without going to > class. Like Freshman Physics and Calc, all intro science and engineering > majors were required to take it however, since the engineering depts were > sure what you would see when you graduated was FTN based code [which was > probably true for the more pure Science types]. Much later (many years > after I left) the CS Dept finally convinced Mat Sci, Chem E and Mech E to > allow the course to be taught using Pascal. I think they use either Java > or Python now, but I haven't checked. > There was a bit of a stir about 10 years ago when CMU switched from Java (I think?) to Python and SML for introductory computer science education. I remember reading a report at the time, which I _think_ is this: http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/2010/CMU-CS-10-140.pdf Though perhaps not, because it _really_ bit into Java and the whole OOP thing. Robert Harper had a blog post that I found interesting about exposing freshmen to functional programming: https://existentialtype.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/teaching-fp-to-freshmen/ - Dan C.