The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Fwd: [multicians] History of C (with Multics reference)
       [not found] ` <30368.1613327707837544705@groups.io>
@ 2021-02-14 19:08   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2021-02-14 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

FYI, interesting.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tom Van Vleck <thvv@multicians.org>
Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2021, 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [multicians] History of C (with Multics reference)
To: <multicians@groups.io>

Remember the story that Ken Thompson had written a language called "Bon"
which was one of the forerunners of "B" which then led to "new B" and then
to "C"?

I just found Ken Thompson's "Bon Users Manual" dated Feb 1, 1969, as told
to M. D. McIlroy and R. Morris
in Jerry Saltzer's files online at MIT.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/saltzer/Multics/MHP-Saltzer-060508/filedrawers/180.btl-misc/Scan%204.PDF
_._,_._,_
------------------------------
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#4231) <https://groups.io/g/multicians/message/4231> | Reply
To Group
<multicians@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bmulticians%5D%20History%20of%20C%20%28with%20Multics%20reference%29>
<thvv@multicians.org?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bmulticians%5D%20History%20of%20C%20%28with%20Multics%20reference%29>
| Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/78835051/481017> | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/multicians/post>
_._,_._,_

* Re: [TUHS] Fwd: [multicians] History of C (with Multics reference)
@ 2021-02-16  6:31     ` John Gilmore
From: John Gilmore @ 2021-02-16  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: TUHS main list

> Remember the story that Ken Thompson had written a language called "Bon"
> which was one of the forerunners of "B" which then led to "new B" and then
> to "C"?
>
> I just found Ken Thompson's "Bon Users Manual" dated Feb 1, 1969, as told
> to M. D. McIlroy and R. Morris
> in Jerry Saltzer's files online at MIT.
> http://people.csail.mit.edu/saltzer/Multics/MHP-Saltzer-060508/filedrawers/180.btl-misc/Scan%204.PDF

There was clearly a lot of cross-fertilization between early APL systems
and Bon.  (APL was the first computer language I dug deeply into.)  Some
of the common elements are the interactive execution environment,
untyped variables, and automatic application of builtin functions (like
+) across all elements of arrays.

	John

* Re: [TUHS] Fwd: [multicians] History of C (with Multics reference)
@ 2021-02-17  3:49       ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-02-17  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Gilmore; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 1:32 AM John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com> wrote:

> There was clearly a lot of cross-fertilization between early APL systems
> and Bon.  (APL was the first computer language I dug deeply into.)  Some
> of the common elements are the interactive execution environment,
> untyped variables, and automatic application of builtin functions (like
> +) across all elements of arrays.

In particular, doing gotos by assigning to a variable is very old-school
APL.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the portrait of Mona Lisa
good if I desire to see it? Is the bust of Sir Philip Crampton lyrical,
epical or dramatic?  If a man hacking in fury at a block of wood make
there an image of a cow, is that image a work of art? If not, why not?
                --Stephen Dedalus

* Re: [TUHS] Fwd: [multicians] History of C (with Multics reference)
@ 2021-02-17  4:14         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-02-17  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, John Cowan wrote:

> In particular, doing gotos by assigning to a variable is very old-school
> APL.

I spent a fun year with APL\360 in CompSci, but could you please elaborate
on that?  I know; this is an ASCII window on my MacBook so you won't be
able to show the code :-)

ObOF: Some joker once pinned an 80-column card with APL on it (yes, it can
be done) with a job card behind it to the Computer Centre's notice board;
under it was the inscription "Who said that APL programs weren't
transparent?"

-- Dave, who enjoyed that write-only language

* Re: [TUHS] [multicians] History of C (with Multics reference)
@ 2021-02-17  5:51           ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2021-02-17  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Feb 16, 2021, at 8:14 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, John Cowan wrote:
>
>> In particular, doing gotos by assigning to a variable is very old-school APL.
>
> I spent a fun year with APL\360 in CompSci, but could you please elaborate on that?  I know; this is an ASCII window on my MacBook so you won't be able to show the code :-)

The goto operator is "-> label", while assignment is "var <- value"
In Ken Iverson's 1962 book "A Programming language" he shows branches
by showing flowchart like arrow connecting a source stmt to target
but he doesn't use any goto or branch operator symbol or labels. So
not sure what John means.

As a grad student I did part time programming for a prof doing research
in cancer epidemiology. I convinced him to let me use APL instead of
PL/I but the "funny money" quickly ran out and it was back to PL/I!

* Re: [TUHS] [multicians] History of C (with Multics reference)
@ 2021-02-18  3:23             ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-02-18  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bakul Shah; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society