On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 9:25 AM Richard Salz wrote: > I hope that this does not start any kind of language flaming and that if > something starts the moderator will shut it down quickly. > > Where did the name for abort(3) and SIGABRT come from? I believe it was > derived from the IBM term ABEND, but would like to know one way or the > other. > Caveat that I don't know the answer to the question, but "abort" to cease doing something is pretty common in a lot of contexts; I always assumed this was picked up in the same way one would "abort the mission" or "abort the test flight" or something of that nature. As an aside, I'd always been under the impression that the "AB" in "ABEND" comes from, "abnormal"? - Dan C.