On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:44 PM Bakul Shah wrote: > On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 13:38:23 -0400 Dan Cross wrote: > > > > This begs questions of stability: in the event of non-unique keys and > > non-key fields in the sortable data, which "records" (lines) are kept and > > which are discarded? Surely the "first" is kept and subsequent entries > with > > the same key suppressed, but I confess I don't know enough about the > > internals of sed to know even what algorithm it uses (I assume a > disk-based > > merge sort?), but I would imagine these details have changed over time. > > FreeBSD manpage for sort says that -u implies a stable sort, > similar to -s. > Thanks; that makes sense. I'm still interested in historical data, though. :-) - Dan C.