On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 7:27 PM Rob Pike wrote: > [snip] > The sequence is thus Jerq, Blit, DMD-5620. DMD stood for dot-mapped rather > than bit-mapped, but I never understood why. It seemed a category error to > me. > The first time I saw a terminal of that lineage, it was a gnot (Gnot? GNOT?) running Plan 9; this would likely have been 1993 or 1994; I was in high school and visited a college-student friend of mine who was interning at the labs and Dennis Ritchie had one on his desk. As an aside, he kindly spared me a few minutes; I confess I was too star-struck and embarrassed to ask him to autograph my copy of K&R that I had brought along. Dennis was a kind, humble person and I was always quite struck by that in comparison to some other academic and industry super-stars I've met. Anyway, my question is what was the evolutionary story of the gnot? I recall being told that it had a 68020, a datakit interface, and some amount of RAM that was small but non-trivial; perhaps 4MB? It seemed clearly evolved from the series of earlier terminals presently under discussion. And the next step in the evolution was a MIPS-based terminal; I can't recall the name, though. - Dan C.