The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-03  2:50 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-12-03  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list, duncanmak

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/jeremy.gibbons/publications/fission.pdf

Duncan Mak wrote

 > Haskell's powerful higher-level functions
> make middling fragments of code very clear, but can compress large
> code to opacity. Jeremy Gibbons, a high priest of functional
> programming, even wrote a paper about deconstructing such wonders for
> improved readability.

I went looking for this paper by Jeremy Gibbons here:
https://dblp.org/pid/53/1090.html but didn't find anything resembling it.

What's the name of the paper?

* Re: [TUHS] Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06  4:25 ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2021-12-06  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society,
	Computer Old Farts Followers

Probably time to move this to COFF, but

along the line of Fission for Program Comprehension....

I wonder how many of you don't know about Don Lancaster.

Pioneer in home computing back when that meant something, inventor of a
very low cost 1970s video terminal (the TV Typewriter), tremendously
skilled hacker, brilliant guy.

Also still alive, lives a couple hours away from me in Safford, AZ, and has
been doing fantastic research on Native American hanging canals for the
last couple decades.

Anyway: he wrote a magnificent piece on how to understand a (6502) program
from its disassembly, which reminded me of Gibbons's work:
https://www.tinaja.com/ebooks/tearing_rework.pdf

I don't think Don ever had a lot of crossover with the more academic world
of Unix people, but he's one of my heroes and I have learned a hell of a
lot from his works.

Adam

* Re: [TUHS] Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06  4:42   ` Dan Halbert
From: Dan Halbert @ 2021-12-06  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 12/5/21 11:25 PM, Adam Thornton wrote:
> I wonder how many of you don't know about Don Lancaster.
>
> Pioneer in home computing back when that meant something, inventor of
> a very low cost 1970s video terminal (the TV Typewriter), tremendously
> skilled hacker, brilliant guy.

In 1970, in eighth grade, I learned digital logic from his "RTL
Cookbook" and the SWTPC Digital Logic Microlab, from Popular
Electronics: https://www.tinaja.com/glib/microlab.pdf, both of which I
still have.

* Re: [TUHS] Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06  5:18     ` Charles H. Sauer
From: Charles H. Sauer @ 2021-12-06  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Halbert; +Cc: tuhs

> On Dec 5, 2021, at 10:42 PM, Dan Halbert <halbert@halwitz.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/5/21 11:25 PM, Adam Thornton wrote:
>> I wonder how many of you don't know about Don Lancaster.
>>
>> Pioneer in home computing back when that meant something, inventor of a very low cost 1970s video terminal (the TV Typewriter), tremendously skilled hacker, brilliant guy.
>>

> In 1970, in eighth grade, I learned digital logic from his "RTL Cookbook" and the SWTPC Digital Logic Microlab, from Popular Electronics: https://www.tinaja.com/glib/microlab.pdf, both of which I still have.

In 1972, while i was still ambivalent about my music ambitions, in the second year of my transition to computer ambitions, pondering the combination of those ambitions, I built one of Lancaster’s function generator projects, depicted on the cover at https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronics/70s/1972/Radio-Electronics-1972-09.pdf <https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronics/70s/1972/Radio-Electronics-1972-09.pdf>. I think i still have  it in the garage, but am not sure if I could still get it to work.

--
voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer@technologists.com <mailto:sauer@technologists.com>
fax: +1.512.346.5240         web: https://technologists.com/sauer/ <http://technologists.com/sauer/>

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF]  Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06 14:11   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-12-06 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Thornton
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Computer Old Farts Followers,
	Douglas McIlroy

Adam - first thank you.  Pleased to know he's still kicking around.

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 11:26 PM Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think Don ever had a lot of crossover with the more academic world
> of Unix people, but he's one of my heroes and I have learned a hell of a
> lot from his works.

Not true at all.  If you grew up as EE, in the late 1960s/early 1970s it
was hard to not know about him since he was so prolific.  FWIW, before I
went to CMU, he was already a hero and I had a number of books from the
late 1960's.   When I was freshman in the early 1970s, his TTL Cookbook was
an optional text for the intro to EE course [I already had it but a number
of my mates had never seen it before].  His CMOS Cookbox was not published
yet, but when it was, I bought it.

Side story, I want to say about 1969/70, after reading one of his articles
in Radio-Electronics I sent him a (US snail mail) letter asking him for
help in designing an RF interface to a TV.  He replied to me but told me
such a design would be illegal to make as it would run afoul of FCC rules.
I wish I had kept that letter, but he reversed himself a few years later
with his TV Typewriter and Son of Video books.  My guess is he had been
researching the idea for one of the magazines when I contacted him, and
must have gotten a ruling from legal counsel about publishing the same.   I
always wondered what made him change his mind a few years later.  Since he
seems to publish an email, I think I'll have to write him and ask that way
to see if he responds.

Clem

ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06 14:22     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2021-12-06 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: Computer Old Farts Followers, Douglas McIlroy

[TUHS to Bcc]

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 9:15 AM Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> Adam - first thank you.  Pleased to know he's still kicking around.
>
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 11:26 PM Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think Don ever had a lot of crossover with the more academic
>> world of Unix people, but he's one of my heroes and I have learned a hell
>> of a lot from his works.
>>
> Not true at all.  If you grew up as EE, in the late 1960s/early 1970s it
> was hard to not know about him since he was so prolific.  FWIW, before I
> went to CMU, he was already a hero and I had a number of books from the
> late 1960's.   When I was freshman in the early 1970s, his TTL Cookbook was
> an optional text for the intro to EE course [I already had it but a number
> of my mates had never seen it before].  His CMOS Cookbox was not published
> yet, but when it was, I bought it.

Indeed, still well-known: I have both his TTL and CMOS cookbooks within
easy reach.

        - Dan C.

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF]  Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06 14:29 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2021-12-06 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff, tuhs; +Cc: jnc

OK, this is my last _civil_ request to stop email-bombing both lists with
trafic. In the future, I will say publicly _exactly_ what I think - and if
screens still had phosphor, it would probably peel it off.

I can see that there are cases when one might validly want to post to both
lists - e.g. when starting a new discusson. However, one of the two should
_always_ be BCC'd, so that simple use of reply won't generate a copy to
both. I would suggest that one might say something like 'this discussion is
probably best continued on the <foo> list' - which could be seeded by BCCing
the _other_.

Thank you.

      Noel