The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-03  2:50 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-12-03  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list, duncanmak

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/jeremy.gibbons/publications/fission.pdf

Duncan Mak wrote

 > Haskell's powerful higher-level functions
> make middling fragments of code very clear, but can compress large
> code to opacity. Jeremy Gibbons, a high priest of functional
> programming, even wrote a paper about deconstructing such wonders for
> improved readability.

I went looking for this paper by Jeremy Gibbons here:
https://dblp.org/pid/53/1090.html but didn't find anything resembling it.

What's the name of the paper?

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF]  Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06 14:29 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2021-12-06 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff, tuhs; +Cc: jnc

OK, this is my last _civil_ request to stop email-bombing both lists with
trafic. In the future, I will say publicly _exactly_ what I think - and if
screens still had phosphor, it would probably peel it off.

I can see that there are cases when one might validly want to post to both
lists - e.g. when starting a new discusson. However, one of the two should
_always_ be BCC'd, so that simple use of reply won't generate a copy to
both. I would suggest that one might say something like 'this discussion is
probably best continued on the <foo> list' - which could be seeded by BCCing
the _other_.

Thank you.

      Noel