The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Fwd: [multicians] Dennis Ritchie's 1993 Usenet posting "BTL Leaves Multics"
       [not found] <Fk0R.1719239897507789113.nLxU@groups.io>
@ 2024-06-24 14:46 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-06-24 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS, Ken Thompson

FYI, Tom Van Vleck just passed this on the Multicians list; DMR's
recollections of the end of Multics at BTL.

I can't resist asking about the nugget buried in here about Ken
writing a small kernel for the 645. Is that in the archives anywhere?

        - Dan C.

From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2024-06-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: TUHS

Dan Cross wrote:
> I can't resist asking about the nugget buried in here about Ken
> writing a small kernel for the 645. Is that in the archives anywhere?

As far as I understand, the code that is available is for the DPS-8M.
I have asked around for older code.  I don't remember exactly, but
possibly 6180 era code might be around, but but unfortunately not 645.

* [TUHS] Re: Fwd: [multicians] Dennis Ritchie's 1993 Usenet posting "BTL Leaves Multics"
@ 2024-06-24 18:17     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-06-24 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: TUHS

On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 11:10 AM Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org> wrote:
> Dan Cross wrote:
> > I can't resist asking about the nugget buried in here about Ken
> > writing a small kernel for the 645. Is that in the archives anywhere?
>
> As far as I understand, the code that is available is for the DPS-8M.
> I have asked around for older code.  I don't remember exactly, but
> possibly 6180 era code might be around, but but unfortunately not 645.

This is, as I understand it, true for Multics. But I think that Dennis
was referring to something that wasn't Multics, or only tangentially
related, done by Ken; this would have definitely preceded the 6180
(Tom's link here:
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.os.multics/c/1iHfrDJkyyE/m/Nhmar1sFRBgJ).

To quote:

> Ken even created a tiny kernel of a system for the 645, which actually printed out an equivalent of `hello world.'

This is the thing I'm curious about.

        - Dan C.