Thanks all, for the very interesting responses to this thread. It sounds like _most_ of the Unix-based preparation efforts centered around an `nroff`-based workflow until the advent of XML. - Dan C. On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 5:24 PM Dan Cross wrote: > Honestly, I'm not quite sure if this is a TUHS, COFF, or IH question. But > since my background with respect to such things is largely Unix centric, I > thought I'd ask in that context, hence asking on TUHS. > > I assume some of the regulars on this list have authored RFCs (of the IETF > etc variety). The RFC format seems fairly well fixed: table of contents, > fixed number of lines per page, page numbers and dates in the footer, and > so forth. The format is sufficiently complex that it seems like some > tooling could be usefully employed to aid in producing these documents. > > So I'm curious: what tools did people use to produce those documents? > Perhaps `nroff` with custom macros or something? > > - Dan C. > >