On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:05 PM Clem cole wrote: > Interesting. Void is missing, not just void*? At one point void worked but > the void * idiom was buggy/missing > Correct. Neither cc nor pcc on 7th edition will accept: void sideeffect() { printf("Hi\n"); } As far as I can tell, both are treating `void` in this short program as an identifier. The string "void" doesn't appear in the sources for either compiler. The problem I have is the compiler was changing in small ways with each > version and the differences run together > It's my subjective impression, based largely on what I read here on TUHS, that there was quite a lot of activity and cross-pollination in and out of Bell Labs at the time, so I'm not surprised that the details here are fuzzy. - Dan C. Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not > quite. > > On Aug 23, 2018, at 9:58 PM, Dan Cross wrote: > > On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 6:17 PM wrote: > >> [snip] >> >> Void* came out with the V7 compiler, if I recall properly. The BSD >> kernel >> looks as if it requires such a later compiler (it uses bit fields which >> the >> earlier compilers didn't support). >> But it doesn't matter. You are right char* (or caddr_t) would work just >> fine for this albeit with some explicit casting. >> > > This appears to be incorrect, unfortunately. I just tested on the > PDP-11/70 running 7th Edition at the Living Computer Museum (I've got an > account there) and it appears that neither `cc` nor `pcc` understand `void`. > > Perhaps Steve Johnson can chime in on this? I suspect he'd know the > history here well. > > - Dan C. > >