On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 4:52 PM Rob Pike wrote: > [snip] I still think it's a great piece of code, and I miss the v8 shell > every day. [snip] > Unfortunately, Steve's memory allocation trick, mallocking on faults, > isn't portable, and I suspect the code will never run on a modern OS. Tom > Duff's rc was done as a reaction to the shell being, despite its other > glories, still a macro language. But that's another story. > Geoff Collyer wrote a nice paper about experiences porting the 9th Edition shell to SunOS 3 on the 68k some years ago. http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/sh.tour.pdf There is a copy of source code on his personal web page: http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/ I wonder if any of the 8th edition shell changes you mentioned survived in that code? - Dan C.