Doesn't C++ also generate tight code and is fairly close to the metal? Today C++ is the high performant language for game developers and HFT shops. But, I never found it on any of these embedded systems, it was straight C. Tyler On Fri, May 22, 2020, 14:09 wrote: > Tyler Adams wrote: > > > So, now Im curious about embedded systems. In my limited experience, > every > > "embedded system" I programmed for from 2002-2011 had C as its primary > > language. After 2011, I stopped programming embedded systems, so I don't > > know after that. Why was C so dominant in this space? > > First of all, because C is the (almost) perfect language for embedded > systems - tight code generated, language close to the metal, etc. etc. > > > Is it because adding > > a backend to gcc was free, C was already well known, and C was > sufficiently > > performant? > > Cygnus Solutions (Hi John!) had a lot to do with this. They specialized > in porting GCC to different processors used in embedded systems and > provided support. > > Arnold >