On Fri, Nov 9, 2018, 10:19 AM Doug McIlroy > My favorite anecdote that I've read regarding Belle was when Ken > > Thompson took it out of the country for a competition. Someone, > > I'm assuming with customs, asked him if Belle could be > > classified as munitions in any way. He replied, "Only if you > > drop it out the window." > > That's not the half of it. Ken had been invited by Botvinnik, > a past world champion, to demonstrate Belle in Russia. Customs > spotted it in baggage and impounded it without Ken's knowledge. > When he arrived empty-handed in Moscow, his hosts abandoned > him to his own devices. > > Late that fateful Friday afteroon, customs called Bell Labs > security, which in turn called Ken's department head--me. That > evening I called Bill Baker, the Labs' presi7, at home, > hoping he might use his high-level Washington connections > to spring Belle. No luck. Ken was in the dark about the whole > affair until Joe Condon managed to reach him at his hotel. > Customs kept the machine a month and released it only after the > Labs agreed to pay a modest fine. I believe Ken's remark about > the military potential of Belle was made in reply to a reporter. > > Doug > That certainly puts a damper on the punchline of the joke, but thank you for sharing this story! >