The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] sml/nj and unix/plan9
@ 2020-05-04 12:39 gdiaz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: gdiaz @ 2020-05-04 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

hello

Was sml/nj part of UNIX at some point? was it considered as a language to use
(proof tools may be)?

I was wondering if there is any history in common between the two. I've been
unable to find anything :-?, please share your stories! :-D

Is it true that the language was too slow to be generally useful? There seems
to be commentaries along these lines on the internet.

thanks!
gabi

* Re: [TUHS] sml/nj and unix/plan9
@ 2020-05-07 14:58 ` Andrew Koenig
From: Andrew Koenig @ 2020-05-07 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdiaz, tuhs

> Was sml/nj part of UNIX at some point? was it considered as a language to
use
> (proof tools may be)?
>
> I was wondering if there is any history in common between the two. I've
been
> unable to find anything :-?, please share your stories! :-D
>
> Is it true that the language was too slow to be generally useful? There
seems to be
> commentaries along these lines on the internet.

To my knowledge, sml/nj was never part of the Unix distribution, though it
was definitely available thereon (and also on SunOS). One of the main people
behind SML/NJ was Dave MacQueen, who was in the same general organization as
the Unix people.

As for sml/nj being too slow to be generally useful, Rob Pike (I think) once
wrote a desk-calculator program in C. I took that program and rewrote it in
sml/nj. Compared to the C version, it ran about twice as slowly and the
source code was about half the size. So no, I don't think sml/nj was slow.

* Re: [TUHS] sml/nj and unix/plan9
@ 2020-05-07 17:40 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2020-05-07 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdiaz; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 8:49 AM <gdiaz@qswarm.com> wrote:

> Was sml/nj part of UNIX at some point? was it considered as a language to
> use
> (proof tools may be)?
>
> I was wondering if there is any history in common between the two. I've
> been
> unable to find anything :-?, please share your stories! :-D

There was certainly proximity, if not a direct connection.

Is it true that the language was too slow to be generally useful? There
> seems
> to be commentaries along these lines on the internet.

This question is difficult to answer. As a _langage_ there's little that
makes SML inherently slow; the MLton compiler does full-program
optimization with advanced optimizations and generates code that's pretty
performant. There are certainly other SML implementations that generate
slow code; MoscowML comes to mind: it generates a byte code that's not
known for speed. SML/NJ is pretty zippy, but I've never tried to write
anything performance-critical with it.

        - Dan C.

* Re: [TUHS] sml/nj and unix/plan9
@ 2020-05-07 20:47 ` A. P. Garcia