The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, core dumped
@ 2014-06-18 17:48 Douglas Comer
From: Douglas Comer @ 2014-06-18 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > > Have Xinu media to go with it? It's something I've been trying to track down. ;)
  >
  > Have you asked Doug?  I've copied him

I just donated my extra copy of Xinu tapes and floppies to the computer museum
(along with first editions of the books).

  > (Hey Doug, you should be on this list, all the long time unix nerds seem to be
  > here, lots of fun with memory lane).

I'd be happy to join.

Doug

* [TUHS] Xinu
@ 2014-06-18 21:17   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2014-06-18 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 08:23:16AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> I should mention that I "ported"  Xinu over to the  Apple ] [ when
> I was at  uni: I transliterated the C code into assembly and used an
> external 555 timer to generate the  clock ticks. Fun times!

I loved Xinu, it was sort of like the legal Lions book with source code.
And Comer's coding style is pretty similar to mine, simple obvious stuff
for 99% of the code, you only got clever when it was actually important.
--
---

* [TUHS] Xinu
@ 2014-06-18 22:23 ` Warren Toomey
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2014-06-18 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I should mention that I "ported"  Xinu over to the  Apple ] [ when I was at  uni: I transliterated the C code into assembly and used an external 555 timer to generate the  clock ticks. Fun times!

      Warren
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Xinu
@ 2014-06-18 22:33   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2014-06-18 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

is your code available?  does it run on any of the modern apple][ emus?

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
> I should mention that I "ported" Xinu over to the Apple ] [ when I was at
> uni: I transliterated the C code into assembly and used an external 555
> timer to generate the clock ticks. Fun times!
>
> Warren
> --

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | @newshtwit | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, core dumped
@ 2014-06-18 22:38 ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2014-06-18 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014, Douglas Comer wrote:

>  > > Have Xinu media to go with it? It's something I've been trying to track down. ;)
>  >
>  > Have you asked Doug?  I've copied him
>
> I just donated my extra copy of Xinu tapes and floppies to the computer museum
> (along with first editions of the books).

Ahh!  I wonder if they'll be making images and PDFs available?

>  > (Hey Doug, you should be on this list, all the long time unix nerds seem to be
>  > here, lots of fun with memory lane).
>
> I'd be happy to join.

It seems like a place that'll help with my crazy projects, too.

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff

* [TUHS] Xinu
@ 2014-06-18 22:39   ` A. P. Garcia
From: A. P. Garcia @ 2014-06-18 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 18, 2014 5:24 PM, "Warren Toomey" <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> I should mention that I "ported" Xinu over to the Apple ] [ when I was at
uni: I transliterated the C code into assembly and used an external 555
timer to generate the clock ticks. Fun times!

> Warren
> --

nice! i have the lsi-11 editions (1984) of the xinu approach on my shelf,
up through the linksys edition (2012). i've spent a small fortune on his
books, second only to tanenbaum, i would think. (not a terribly big
stallings fan, but he's certainly prolific.)

@ 2014-06-18 22:42     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2014-06-18 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:33:15PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> is your code available?  does it run on any of the modern apple][ emus?

It's available at ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/pub/apple2/apple2xinu.tar.gz with
source code, binaries, floopy images and some documentation.

No, it won't run on a real Apple ][ without some work. I actually wrote
it for an Apple clone which had bank-switched RAM and I made use of that
to hide the BASIC ROM and store the OS in the upper 12K. You would also
need to simulate a 10 or 20Hz NMI as well :-)

Cheers,
	Warren

* [TUHS] Xinu
@ 2014-06-18 22:54       ` Corey Lindsly
From: Corey Lindsly @ 2014-06-18 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No, it won't run on a real Apple ][ without some work. I actually wrote
> it for an Apple clone which had bank-switched RAM and I made use of that

Franklin Ace? I had one of those. Probably still do, somewhere.

--corey

* [TUHS] Xinu
@ 2014-06-19  4:17         ` Christopher Vance
From: Christopher Vance @ 2014-06-19  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I ported Xinu to a Motorola 68000 on VME card. I had the luxury of a
working C compiler, so there was very little assembly language required
(context switch only, from memory). The main effort was in rewriting device
drivers for the relevant hardware. The result was used for teaching
Operating Systems.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the code.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Corey Lindsly <corey at lod.com> wrote:

> > No, it won't run on a real Apple ][ without some work. I actually wrote
> > it for an Apple clone which had bank-switched RAM and I made use of that
>
> Franklin Ace? I had one of those. Probably still do, somewhere.
>
> --corey

Christopher Vance

@ 2014-06-19  4:39       ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2014-06-19  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Warren Toomey wrote:

>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
>>> I should mention that I "ported" Xinu over to the Apple ] [ when I was at
>>> uni: I transliterated the C code into assembly and used an external 555
>>> timer to generate the clock ticks. Fun times!
>
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:33:15PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
>> is your code available?  does it run on any of the modern apple][ emus?
>
> It's available at ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/pub/apple2/apple2xinu.tar.gz with
> source code, binaries, floopy images and some documentation.
>
> No, it won't run on a real Apple ][ without some work. I actually wrote
> it for an Apple clone which had bank-switched RAM and I made use of that
> to hide the BASIC ROM and store the OS in the upper 12K. You would also
> need to simulate a 10 or 20Hz NMI as well :-)

Well, I usually assume an Apple ][ at least has THAT ability (as any with
at least 64K will) :P, but the NMI issue would be the problem. :/

-uso.