On Wed, Jul 3, 2024, 1:17 AM wrote: > I’ve never heard of a Computer Science or Software Engineering program > that included a ‘case study’ component, especially for Software > Development & Projects. > > > > Developers of Initial Unix arguably were 10x-100x more productive than IBM > OS/360, a ‘best practice’ development at the time, > so what CSRC did differently is worth close examination. > > I’ve not seen examined the role of the ‘capability’ of individual > contributors, the collaborative, collegiate work environment > and the ‘context’, a well funded organisation not dictating deadlines or > product specifications for researchers. > > I haven't heard of such a case study either. But you reminded me of an analogy I once read. Please forgive me if my memory is incorrect or incomplete. I believe I read it in the book "The Supermen", and the idea might be attributed to Seymour Cray. The basic idea was that any technical problem can be solved with a shovel, where the sharpness of the blade represents the astuteness of the people working on it, and the force applied to the handle is how much money you throw at it. A bit simplistic, perhaps, but I think there's also a lot of truth in it.