shar, by the way, stands for "shell archive." That is, it's an archive that could be unpacked by feeding the file into sh. The most complete unshar is probably at http://sources.vsta.org/comp.sources.unix/volume15/cshar/ It's portable C (for its time, 20 years ago). Safety, in terms of not trashing an existing file, was a goal. On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 1:59 PM Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 11:54 AM Clem Cole wrote: > >> >> >> On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 1:25 PM Will Senn wrote: >> >>> My questions for y'all are how would you go about doing this? Use vi to >>> delete everything through the ==== cut here line? >>> >> Yep >> >> >> >> >>> In my world, if I screw something up, it's 15 seconds to run a restore >>> script in my simh directory and I can try again, so my level of concern for >>> a mistake is pretty low. If I was doing this in 1980, on real hardware, I >>> would have had many concerns, as I'm sure some of y'all can remember, how >>> did you prepare and protect yourselves so a patch was successful. >>> >> Run an incremental backup and/or copy the files you new you we were >> messing with. The good news was that patch makes backups. >> >>> >>> BTW, I thought .shar was an archive format, so when I saw the patch was >>> a shar file, >>> >> It was so of. It was a way to send files around that people could easily >> execute and you new would work through 7-bit based email which is all the >> SMTP guaranteed in the early days. Yeh but .. uucp was 8 yep. But >> some of the legs of the USENET were luck to be based on Arpanet site, which >> might have had a mailer running BITNET. When shar was created the 'least >> needed' style assumptions were used. As it was it was often that people >> put tarballs, then compressed them and then uuencoded them inside. Often a >> space savings and made it easier -> compressed tar was pretty good, and >> even with the 3 8-bit chars as 4 6-bit chars of uuencode it will worked out >> well in practice. >> > > There's various 'unshar' programs, but they are all just restricted > versions of the shell because of the wide diversity of 'shar' > implementation... uuencoded compressed tar balls added another layer to > this mess as well :) > > Warner >