Anyone remember the old mtXinu calendar with fake ads?I only remember one page, "oh no Spot(?) spilled the mbufs, Dad's favorite cereal." On Fri, Jul 16, 2021, 4:19 PM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 3:08 PM Kevin Bowling > wrote: > >> Yup was just going to say this is standard in the modern BSD network >> drivers, looks like Clem says it's older. > > Absolutely -- I believe it was Rob's undergrad project at Brown that he > brought to BBN. > > The first use, if I saw, was the 'portable IP/TCP' stack BBN did for > HP/3000 and a couple of other systems. That code seems to have been lost. > I have asked about it on the Internet history mailing list. I had a copy > of it one time, but sadly I don't think I still do. IIRC The original > PDP-11 IP implementation which ran on a couple of dedicated systems, > whose names/function I frankly do not remember) was also based on a version > of this code. I think it ran something like RT-11 or DOS-11 and then > started the IP code -- basically RTR style today. Later it morphed into > Rob's Vax BSD 4.1 specific stack, which we ran at UCB on a couple of the > systems using 3M Xerox board. This latest until 4.1A and Joy's rewrite and > I want to say we switched in Interlan 10M boards then. We have a couple of > the 3Com boards, but because of the lack of buffering, they were a bear to > use and stopped as soon as we got the Interlan one. > > > Anyway, all of these IP/TCP stacks used Rob's mbuf code. Which was a > blessing and a curse. By writing his own, he avoids huge > changes/integration into the memory system, but it also helped to make BSD > such a mess under the covers because there were so many private memory > managers between the network, the I/O systems etc... As discussed > previously on the TUHS list, the one thing Risner really did well had a > uniform memory design. Later BSD's moved to Mach and tried to clean this > up a little, but the network code was by then so screwed into Rob's mbuf > scheme, it stayed around a long time. Werner -- what is the state of this > these days in FreeBSD is it still there? > > > > >> There are recent optimizations to help the CPU with prefetch, and some >> ideas around vectors of mbufs. What's remarkable is the mbuf design >> scales to >> 200gbps in practice, it must feel great to design something like that so >> long ago :) >> > Well, ask Rob :-) I've lost track of him since Stellar, and I think he I > heard he left high tech but frankly don't know. > > Clem > ᐧ >