The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2019-02-04 20:53 Christopher Browne
From: Christopher Browne @ 2019-02-04 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Sorry to drop in on the thread a bit late, and, strictly speaking, not
(according to headers) connected to the thread; I am well acquainted
with David Tilbrook, who is sadly not doing too well; it is not
surprising that Leah Neukirchen was unable to get a hold of him as he
hasn't been using email for some number of years > 1, and is
definitely not programming.

Hugh Redelmeier and I are looking into trying to do some preservation
of his QEF toolset that included the QED port.

Neither Hugh nor I are ourselves QED users; I'm about 30 years into my
Emacs learning curve, albeit using Remacs (the Rust implementation)
lately, while Hugh maintains JOVE to the extent to which it remains
maintained.  http://www.cs.toronto.edu/pub/hugh/jove-dev/

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-25 22:47 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-10-25 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Noel Hunt

    > In addition to SINE, does anyone know what happened to EINE?

Was replaced by ZWEI fairly early on.

Zwei
Was
Eine
Initially

Dunno if it still exists on an MIT dump-tape somewhere.

	Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-25 21:15     ` Noel Hunt
From: Noel Hunt @ 2018-10-25 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lars; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2018-10-25 16:09   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-10-25 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donald ODona; +Cc: tuhs

Donald ODona wrote:
> just to mention the strange alien lisp machine, desktop environment,
> operation system, church of emacs in all known flavors:
> https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history

Thanks.

Does anyone know what happened to SINE?  Or the MagicSix operating
system for that matter; maybe a sibling to Unix?  (To somehow try to
make this on topic.)

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-10-25  6:56 ` Donald ODona
From: Donald ODona @ 2018-10-25  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

At 7 Oct 2018 06:08:57 +0000 (+00:00) from arnold@skeeve.com:

@ 2018-10-10 19:21 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2018-10-10 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Leah Neukirchen:

  I tried contacting David Tilbrook several times and got no replies.

  I think some people around Toronto still use qed, but they seem to be
  very secretive about it.

====

David is likely well-retired by now, but I don't really know.
Even though I walk within a block of his house fairly often,
we've never really been consistently in touch.

But he was responsible for a distinct branch of the qed that
originated at the University of Toronto in the late 1970s
(same one Rob supplied).  Certainly worth tracking down.

I don't know your definitions of `people around Toronto' or
`secretive.'  I still use qed daily; my copy is one I've been
carrying around, and occasionally tweaking, since my time at
Caltech (where I got it from Rob).  I'll send Arnold a copy.
I'm really tired both of having to recompile it (and deal with
yet another bit of obsolete-C assumption that no previous
compiler or C library has shown up) now and then, and with
its private variant of regular expressions, so I keep threatening
(mainly to myself) to rewrite it in Python, but I have no idea
whether I'll ever get around to that.  If I do I suspect I'll
throw away some of the programmability hooks, which I never use,
and perhaps extend it here and there (I really want nesting
globals, and they're not that hard to do--I did them in my
half-baked personal mail reader, which has an ed-like interface).

I don't know offhand of anyone else around Toronto using my
branch of qed.  I do know of a couple of friends in California,
one who left Caltech before I did but is now back there, another
elsewhere in Los Angeles, who still use my version at least
occasionally.  It wouldn't surprise me if there were people
around Toronto who use Tilbrook's branch, since it was part
of his qef toolkit and he introduced several companies to it
when consulting for them; but I don't know of any specifics.

None of which is as archaeologically interesting as the
non-UNIX qeds, of course.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-10-08 19:00 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2018-10-08 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

> I would like to track down the qedbuf(1) man page also.

Not sure if that is different that qedbufs.1 (with an "s").
It is in two usenix sets:

usenix79+80/boulder/caltech/doc/qedbufs.1
usenix_80_delaware/boulder/caltech/doc/qedbufs.1

https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Spencer_Tapes/

https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Shoppa_Tapes/

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-08 10:18         ` KatolaZ
From: KatolaZ @ 2018-10-08 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 02:52:34PM +0200, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:
> On 7 Oct 2018, at 14:33, Donald ODona <mutiny.mutiny@india.com> wrote:
> >
> > At 7 Oct 2018 11:01:11 +0000 (+00:00) from Arrigo Triulzi <a target="_blank"rrigo@alchemistowl.org>:
> >> What was the name of the editor which George Coulouris wrote at Queen Mary College (then Queen Mary and Westfield, now Queen Mary, University of London)? “e”?
> > em.
> > http://pgas.freeshell.org/C/em/
>
> Ah, thank you.

I tried the "modernised" version of em by Pierre Gaston a few months
back, and unfortunately it crashes repreatedly on some em-specific
commands. I shall look deeper, but it would be nice to have a
functioning version... ;)

HND

KatolaZ

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
       [not found] <A5B0EEC4-9AC1-4E7D-8D26-DEEFAF4DAD2C@pobox.com>
@ 2018-10-08  3:58 ` Jeffrey H. Johnson
From: Jeffrey H. Johnson @ 2018-10-08  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Might as well send this to the list:

There are Multics QEDX sources, but I haven't run across QED - however, there is an overview of it's use and commands in the General Electric June 1969 Multics Condensed Guide (http://bitsavers.org/pdf/honeywell/multics/swenson/6906.multics-condensed-guide.pdf)

I pulled the QEDX source at put it at https://ban.ai/~jhj/misc/qedx/ for easy access - this is the MR12.5 version and last modified in 1989, sadly, I don't ever recall seeing the BCPL QED. [ I'll be sure to remember now if I see it. ]

[ Somewhat off-topic ] How about Yale 'Z' as long as we're talking editors? Or another editor (that I very much like) is the 'G' editor, which has a long history, originating on Honeywell 6000 GCOS/TSS, originally written in B: https://github.com/ascheepe/g-editor - works nicely today. There is also the Ecce editor, which includes versions in IMP, BASIC, C, BCPL, and FORTRAN at http://history.dcs.ed.ac.uk/archive/apps/ecce/ - bringing Ecce up on Multics is an item on my todo list.

-- Jeff - https://ban.ai/multics/

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-08  3:21   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-10-08  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

> I'm asking around for 940, CTSS, and Multics versions of QED.

QED for the 940 timesharing system might appear later.

Multics QEDX:
https://ban.ai/~jhj/misc/qedx/

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07 17:11   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-10-07 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

> I'm asking around for 940, CTSS, and Multics versions of QED.

CTSS QED is here:

https://github.com/rcornwell/ctss/tree/master/src/edit

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07 17:00 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-10-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2018-10-07 16:41     ` Jonathan Gevaryahu
From: Jonathan Gevaryahu @ 2018-10-07 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 10/7/2018 6:23 AM, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:
>> Arnold wrote:
>>> I am starting to collect, if possible, different versions of the QED
>>> editor; with a hope to put up a git repo.
>> Very good!  Editors need preservation too.
>>
>> Anyone curious about Pratt's ZED aka DOC?
> What was the name of the editor which George Coulouris wrote at Queen Mary College (then Queen Mary and Westfield, now Queen Mary, University of London)? “e”?
>
> Arrigo
> .

I remember when digging for the speak.c/h stuff in the v6_doc disk pack
image, there were incomplete fragments of an editor (restricted ed? ed?)
source code in there, earlier than any version of the source code I
could find at the time, so that might be interesting to dig into as well.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu AKA Lord Nightmare
jgevaryahu@gmail.com

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07 15:52     ` Leah Neukirchen
From: Leah Neukirchen @ 2018-10-07 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

arnold@skeeve.com writes:

> Donald ODona <mutiny.mutiny@india.com> wrote:
>
>> At 7 Oct 2018 06:08:57 +0000 (+00:00) from arnold@skeeve.com:
>> > I have contacted Rob Pike and got one tarball from him. I have another
>> > tarball that I got sometime in 1987 and have a promise of code coming
>> > Donald Mitchell.
>>
>> there is already a git repo at https://github.com/chneukirchen/qed-caltech
>
> Thanks, I'll take a look at that too.

Yep, that's mine.

I tried contacting David Tilbrook several times and got no replies.

I think some people around Toronto still use qed, but they seem to be
very secretive about it.

hth,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah@vuxu.org>  http://leah.zone

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07 15:41     ` Donald ODona
From: Donald ODona @ 2018-10-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

At 7 Oct 2018 14:16:56 +0000 (+00:00) from arnold@skeeve.com:
> Donald ODona <mutiny.mutiny@india.com> wrote:
>
> > At 7 Oct 2018 06:08:57 +0000 (+00:00) from arnold@skeeve.
> It's quite ironic. To get se going on Unix I had to learn vi. Then
> vi became hardwired into my finger ROMs such that I didn't feel like
> going back to using se.
>
> se is derived from the Software Tools Ratfor editor, so it's an ed
> clone, not based on Unix ed code.
I know that. se has somewhat limited regexp syntax, but otherwise is a nice editor. You'll wonder but I'm still using it occasionally.

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07 14:11   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-10-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, mutiny.mutiny, arnold

Donald ODona <mutiny.mutiny@india.com> wrote:

> At 7 Oct 2018 06:08:57 +0000 (+00:00) from arnold@skeeve.com:
> > I have contacted Rob Pike and got one tarball from him. I have another
> > tarball that I got sometime in 1987 and have a promise of code coming
> > Donald Mitchell.
>
> there is already a git repo at https://github.com/chneukirchen/qed-caltech

Thanks, I'll take a look at that too.

> Then se, a very ed like screen editor:
> http://se-editor.org/
> https://github.com/screen-editor/se

I'm quite familiar with this. I'm the one who posted the original C version
of se to comp.sources.unix > 30 years ago.  :-)

@ 2018-10-07 13:20         ` jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2018-10-07 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Nickolas, Donald ODona; +Cc: tuhs

IBM bundled it in with OS/2 Warp.  I forget if the edlin was a family API app.

Now that edlin is MIT licensed I guess it may live on

Sent from my Windows 10 Nokia Lumia 1520

From: Arrigo Triulzi @ 2018-10-07 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donald ODona; +Cc: tuhs

On 7 Oct 2018, at 14:33, Donald ODona <mutiny.mutiny@india.com> wrote:

> At 7 Oct 2018 11:01:11 +0000 (+00:00) from Arrigo Triulzi <a target="_blank"rrigo@alchemistowl.org>:
>> What was the name of the editor which George Coulouris wrote at Queen Mary College (then Queen Mary and Westfield, now Queen Mary, University of London)? “e”?
> em.
> http://pgas.freeshell.org/C/em/

Ah, thank you.

Arrigo

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07 12:46       ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2018-10-07 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donald ODona; +Cc: tuhs

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018, Donald ODona wrote:

> At 7 Oct 2018 11:01:11 +0000 (+00:00) from Arrigo Triulzi <a target="_blank"rrigo@alchemistowl.org>:
>> What was the name of the editor which George Coulouris wrote at Queen Mary College (then Queen Mary and Westfield, now Queen Mary, University of London)? “e”?
> em.
> http://pgas.freeshell.org/C/em/
>
>> Arrigo

When I think of "e", I think of IBM's text editor, which I had on one of
my XTs before it became part of PC DOS 6.1.

-uso.

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07 12:41 ` Donald ODona
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Donald ODona @ 2018-10-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, arnold

@ 2018-10-07 12:33     ` Donald ODona
From: Donald ODona @ 2018-10-07 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff, arrigo; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2018-10-07 10:23   ` Arrigo Triulzi
From: Arrigo Triulzi @ 2018-10-07 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: tuhs

> Arnold wrote:
>> I am starting to collect, if possible, different versions of the QED
>> editor; with a hope to put up a git repo.
>
> Very good!  Editors need preservation too.
>
> Anyone curious about Pratt's ZED aka DOC?

What was the name of the editor which George Coulouris wrote at Queen Mary College (then Queen Mary and Westfield, now Queen Mary, University of London)? “e”?

Arrigo

* Re: [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07 10:05 ` Lars Brinkhoff
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-10-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

Arnold wrote:
> I am starting to collect, if possible, different versions of the QED
> editor; with a hope to put up a git repo.

Very good!  Editors need preservation too.

Anyone curious about Pratt's ZED aka DOC?

* [TUHS] Software Archeology: QED
@ 2018-10-07  6:07 arnold
                   ` (4 more replies)