The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 13:59 Pat Barron
From: Pat Barron @ 2019-06-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I'm reminded since Erik brought this up...

Is Warren Montgomery's emacs available, like, anywhere...  I used it long
ago on V7m, and I had it on my AT&T 7300 (where it was available as a
binary package).

It's the first emacs I ever used.  I don't recall where we got it for the
PDP-11.  On our system, we had it permission-restricted so only certain
trusted users could use it - basically, people who could be trusted not to
be in it all the time, and not to use it while the system was busy.  We
had an 11/40 with 128K, and 2 or 3 people trying to use Mongomery emacs
would basically crush the system...

In the absence of that, I've always found JOVE to be the next best thing,
as far as being lightweight and sufficently emacs-like.  I actually
install it on almost all of my Linux systems.  Did JOVE ever run on V7?

--Pat.

* [TUHS] Old Emacs
@ 2019-06-11 15:02 ` Lawrence Stewart
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2019-06-11 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I have a copy of the sources for Dave Conroy’s microemacs, if there’s any interest.
It is certainly the smallest one I know about.

I suppose it was quite late to the emacs party, dating from 1989 or so.  The sources include support for Ultrix and various mini and micro systems, plus a few terminal types.

I used to use to use it on small and partially installed systems for editing config files.   This role seems to be taken by nano in the modern day.

I asked him once how to change the key bindings and Dave said “You use the Change Configuration command.”  “On Unix it is abbreviated as cc.”

-L

* Re: [TUHS] Old Emacs
@ 2019-06-11 15:15   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-06-11 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Stewart; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:11 AM Lawrence Stewart <stewart@serissa.com>
wrote:

> I asked him once how to change the key bindings and Dave said “You use the
> Change Configuration command.”  “On Unix it is abbreviated as cc.”

+1 a true hackers answer.
ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] Old Emacs
@ 2019-06-11 15:52   ` Christopher Browne
From: Christopher Browne @ 2019-06-11 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Stewart; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 11:11, Lawrence Stewart <stewart@serissa.com> wrote:

> I have a copy of the sources for Dave Conroy’s microemacs, if there’s any
> interest.
> It is certainly the smallest one I know about.
>
> I suppose it was quite late to the emacs party, dating from 1989 or so.
> The sources include support for Ultrix and various mini and micro systems,
> plus a few terminal types.

There's some pretty decent discussion of forks of this here...
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MicroEmacs
Perhaps also see...
http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MicroEmacs

I see the torvalds "fork"; it looks like it gets a patch every year or so.
https://github.com/torvalds/uemacs

By the way, JOVE is still maintained, albeit not super actively.
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/pub/hugh/jove-dev/

> I used to use to use it on small and partially installed systems for
> editing config files.   This role seems to be taken by nano in the modern
> day.
>
> I asked him once how to change the key bindings and Dave said “You use the
> Change Configuration command.”  “On Unix it is abbreviated as cc.”

Love it!!!

I liked that about the configuration of wmx (a window manger), although
less enthralled at the "change configuration command" being "g++"

* Re: [TUHS] Old Emacs
@ 2019-06-11 17:08     ` Rodolfo García Peñas (kix)
From: Rodolfo García Peñas (kix) @ 2019-06-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

>> I asked him once how to change the key bindings and Dave said “You use the Change Configuration command.”  “On Unix it is abbreviated as cc.”
>
> +1 a true hackers answer.
> ᐧ

Nice email signature quote :-)

* Re: [TUHS] Old Emacs
@ 2019-06-11 17:23   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2019-06-11 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Stewart; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Lawrence Stewart wrote:
> I have a copy of the sources for Dave Conroy’s microemacs, if there’s
> any interest.

I got version 30 from Conroy, from 1986 by his estimate.  If yours
are older, I'm interested.

* Re: [TUHS] Old Emacs
@ 2019-06-11 17:53     ` Lawrence Stewart
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2019-06-11 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> On 2019, Jun 11, at 1:23 PM, Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org> wrote:
>
> Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>> I have a copy of the sources for Dave Conroy’s microemacs, if there’s
>> any interest.
>
> I got version 30 from Conroy, from 1986 by his estimate.  If yours
> are older, I'm interested.

It is hard to tell, I have about 20 copies, on backups of backups of backups.
I’ll see if I can untangle them.  We can always ask Dave too.  He’s in
Half Moon Bay, CA these days.

The log file from one of mine goes from V1 on 1-Jan-85 to 28-Sep-87 so likely
yours is older. V30 is listed as 14-Apr-86

-L