On Mon, 4 Mar 2024, 08:27 Rob Pike, wrote [to Larry] Oh happy days. Hi Rob, loved the book. If that's really true, that you learned from Spencer's library, then you > didn't learn the most important thing about them, which is the automata > theory that guarantees their performance is always linear. Not to take > anything away from Henry, who admitted at the time that it could be slow > for bad expressions, but we're still paying the price for refusing to > connect "regex" with the theory that created them, ignoring it in fact. > I once got into a bunfight with a Googler on the topic of coding interview questions, on a related matter. He was promulgating a regular expression to correctly match/parse-out legitimate dotted-quad IPv4 addresses, including bounds-checking the octets to be in the range 0..255, and arguing that it since it was going to be run through a DFA that it was a sunk cost for efficiency and therefore perfect. The result looked like line noise, and he was perturbed that I said I would prefer to take a much simpler (NFA?) RE, parse out the ints and bounds-check them, just to reduce cognitive load and increase maintainability of code. We didn't really come to an agreement. -a