The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: josh <joshnatis0@gmail.com>
To: Angelo Papenhoff <aap@papnet.eu>
Cc: segaloco via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Fifth Edition Manual Restoration
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 15:55:46 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Angelo,

G. Branden Robinson, (CCed on this email) attempted a somewhat similar mission,
re-typesetting the paper "Typesetting Mathematics by Kernighan and Cherry" with
groff. If you look through the email thread detailing the result [1], you can
see notes about aesthetic regressions from the original troff document, and
Branden's attempts to fix them. Hope you don't mind me summoning you, Branden
:).

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2022-07/msg00000.html

Additionally (though unrelated to roff), the Computerphile youtube channel has
a video [2] you may find interesting titled "Recreating Dennis Ritchie's PhD
Thesis", in which they discuss how they went about making a faithful recreation
of dmr's unsubmitted PhD thesis.

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82TxNejKsng

Hope this generates some interesting discussion? :)
Josh