The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Vax-780 with unix 2.0v2 gdts questions
@ 2023-03-19 13:10 KenUnix
From: KenUnix @ 2023-03-19 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: UNIX TUHS Group

I have succeeded in building a complete (including the extra apps) working
Vax-780 sim running unix 2.0v2 gdts except
for 2 things.

1) Unable to set up to be able print to the host.  The device appears to be
an LP11 but the
Kernel does not have an LP device (c,major,minor) defined. The sim has an
entry for LPT.

2) Any way to network (Ethernet) off the sim to the host? It seems to be
possible the tools
are there, but again is not covered anywhere?

I have gone over all the documents I could find. If someone could point me
to the
appropriate documents that would be great.

Any help would be appreciated,
Ken

--
WWL 📚

* [TUHS] Re: Vax-780 with unix 2.0v2 gdts questions
@ 2023-03-19 13:46 ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2023-03-19 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KenUnix; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group

On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 at 09:11, KenUnix <ken.unix.guy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have succeeded in building a complete (including the extra apps) working
> Vax-780 sim running unix 2.0v2 gdts except
> for 2 things.
>
> 1) Unable to set up to be able print to the host.  The device appears to
> be an LP11 but the
> Kernel does not have an LP device (c,major,minor) defined. The sim has an
> entry for LPT.
>
> 2) Any way to network (Ethernet) off the sim to the host? It seems to be
> possible the tools
> are there, but again is not covered anywhere?

As has been suggested before, these sorts of questions are probably much
more appropriate for the SIMH mailing list.  This mailing list deals with
the overall history of UNIX, while the SIMH mailing list is generally more
focused on the actual simulation details of these older distributions.

First, it would probably be clearer for everyone if you refer to this
distribution by its more common name, SVR2 (System V, Release 2).

Where did you get this distribution?  The one I could easily find,
https://archive.org/details/vax-svr2 , has serious filesystem problems that
can easily be seen by running an fsck on boot.

But perhaps most importantly, what gave you the idea that there is ethernet
support (or indeed networking support of any sort) in this distribution?
There are no standard networking commands (ftp, telnet, rsh, etc.) and no
network drivers of any sort.

If you want networking support on an older OS that works for VAX SIMH, you
almost certainly want to run 4.2BSD.  The earliest VAX distribution that
I'm aware of that has networking abilities interoperable with modern
systems is 4.1C BSD, and in that case I had to backport the DEUNA driver
from 4.2BSD to get something that will work with the simulated networking
options available.

-Henry

* [TUHS] Re: Vax-780 with unix 2.0v2 gdts questions
@ 2023-03-19 21:21   ` Michael Huff
From: Michael Huff @ 2023-03-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: UNIX TUHS Group

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 5:46 AM Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where did you get this distribution?  The one I could easily find,
> https://archive.org/details/vax-svr2 , has serious filesystem problems
> that can easily be seen by running an fsck on boot.

Speaking of Unix History, following that link led me to a copy of what I
think was the first 4.4BSD-Lite based FreeBSD iso -it's from June 1995. No
big deal *except* that it includes a scan of the cover, something that
looks like an insert and it consists of two cds. I haven't had a chance to
look at the cds yet so I don't know what's on them.

IMO the scans are the big deal and why I'm posting the link to it here.
Apologies in advance for any lapses in etiquette:

https://archive.org/details/freebsd-205-b

* [TUHS] Re: Vax-780 with unix 2.0v2 gdts questions
@ 2023-03-19 21:23     ` Michael Huff
From: Michael Huff @ 2023-03-19 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: UNIX TUHS Group

Incidentally I say "no big deal" only because the iso itself is available
from the FreeBSD project, so it isn't exactly rare. But I think the scans
are.

@ 2023-03-19 22:14     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-03-19 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Huff; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023, 3:21 PM Michael Huff <mphuff@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 5:46 AM Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Where did you get this distribution?  The one I could easily find,
>> https://archive.org/details/vax-svr2 , has serious filesystem problems
>> that can easily be seen by running an fsck on boot.
>>

> Speaking of Unix History, following that link led me to a copy of what I
> think was the first 4.4BSD-Lite based FreeBSD iso -it's from June 1995. No
> big deal *except* that it includes a scan of the cover, something that
> looks like an insert and it consists of two cds. I haven't had a chance to
> look at the cds yet so I don't know what's on them.
>
> IMO the scans are the big deal and why I'm posting the link to it here.
> Apologies in advance for any lapses in etiquette:
>
> https://archive.org/details/freebsd-205-b

FreeBSD 2.0.0 was the first Lite based release. This looks to be 2.0.5
which was a 7 months later.

https://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases has all
the old releases from 2.0.5 on...

Hmmm I think I have the 2.0 cdrom in my basement...

Warner

* [TUHS] Re: Vax-780 with unix 2.0v2 gdts questions
@ 2023-03-19 22:56       ` Michael Huff
From: Michael Huff @ 2023-03-19 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group

I think I may have found 2.0 on the Internet Archive too.
https://archive.org/details/cdrom-freebsd-2.0-1

The dates on the iso are from late November 1994.

@ 2023-03-19 23:23         ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2023-03-19 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Huff; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group

On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 at 18:56, Michael Huff <mphuff@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I may have found 2.0 on the Internet Archive too.
> https://archive.org/details/cdrom-freebsd-2.0-1
>
> The dates on the iso are from late November 1994.
>

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 2:14 PM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023, 3:21 PM Michael Huff <mphuff@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Speaking of Unix History, following that link led me to a copy of what I
>>> think was the first 4.4BSD-Lite based FreeBSD iso -it's from June 1995. No
>>> big deal *except* that it includes a scan of the cover, something that
>>> looks like an insert and it consists of two cds. I haven't had a chance to
>>> look at the cds yet so I don't know what's on them.
>>>
>>> IMO the scans are the big deal and why I'm posting the link to it here.
>>> Apologies in advance for any lapses in etiquette:
>>>
>>> https://archive.org/details/freebsd-205-b
>>>

>> FreeBSD 2.0.0 was the first Lite based release. This looks to be 2.0.5
>> which was a 7 months later.
>>
>> https://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases has all
>> the old releases from 2.0.5 on...
>>
>> Hmmm I think I have the 2.0 cdrom in my basement...
>>
>> Warner

These are just the regular Walnut Creek (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut_Creek_CDROM ) packaged distributions
of free software.  Is there a reason that they are considered special or
significant?

-Henry

* [TUHS] Re: Vax-780 with unix 2.0v2 gdts questions
@ 2023-03-19 23:45           ` Michael Huff
From: Michael Huff @ 2023-03-19 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 3:23 PM Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 at 18:56, Michael Huff <mphuff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think I may have found 2.0 on the Internet Archive too.
>> https://archive.org/details/cdrom-freebsd-2.0-1
>>
>> The dates on the iso are from late November 1994.

>>> FreeBSD 2.0.0 was the first Lite based release. This looks to be 2.0.5
>>> which was a 7 months later.
>>>
>>> https://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases has
>>> all the old releases from 2.0.5 on...
>>>
>>> Hmmm I think I have the 2.0 cdrom in my basement...
>>>
>>> Warner
>>>

> These are just the regular Walnut Creek (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut_Creek_CDROM ) packaged distributions
> of free software.  Is there a reason that they are considered special or
> significant?
>
> -Henry

Yes. I posted the first one because it included a scan of the packaging and
an insert (which I don't think you can find on the FreeBSD archive -though
I haven't looked), I posted a link to the second one because it pre-dates
the earliest ISO on the FreeBSD archive (2.0 instead of 2.0.5).

I thought people would be interested in the first link as an interesting
curiosity, and the second one was for any software completists.

-Michael

* [TUHS] Re: Vax-780 with unix 2.0v2 gdts questions
@ 2023-03-20  0:09             ` Michael Huff
From: Michael Huff @ 2023-03-20  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group