The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Noel Hunt <noel.hunt@gmail.com>
To: Steve Johnson <scj@yaccman.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] ching in Unix
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 08:56:16 +1100	[thread overview]

From the manual entry:

                  Using an algorithm suggested by S. C. Johnson, the Unix
ora-
          cle simply reads a question from the standard input (up to
          an EOF) and hashes the individual characters in combination
          with other indicia which happen to be lying around the sys-
          tem.  The resulting value is used as the seed of a random
          number generator which drives a simulated coin-toss divina-
          tion.  The answer appears on the standard output.

I was always convinced that the presence of the word 'indicia' indicated
(pun
intended) that Dennis Ritchie had his hand in it. Who in the Unix world
today
writes,  would even be able to write, a manual entry like that.