When it comes to Eight Edition, please don't forget Tom Cargill's 'pi'. There was also a version I believe that was used as the debugger for programs on the Blit/Jerq; it seems to be known as '4pi' in the source. On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 6:49 AM Paul Ruizendaal wrote: > Reading some more stuff about the road from 7th Edition to 8th Edition, > this time about debuggers. > > My current understanding is as follows: > > - On 6th edition the debugger was ‘cdb’ > > - On 7th edition it was ‘adb’, a rewrite / evolution from ‘cdb’ > > - In 32V a new debugger appears, ‘sdb’. Its code seems a derivative from > ‘adb’, but the command language is substantially reworked and it uses a > modified variant of the a.out linker format - in essence the beginnings of > ‘stabs’. Of course the compiler, assembler, linker and related tools all > emit/recognize these new symbol table elements. > > - The July 78 file note by London/Reiser does not mention a reworked > debugger at all; the 32V tape that is on TUHS has ’sdb' files that are > dated Feb/Mar 1979. This stuff must have been developed between July 78 and > March 79. > > - In the SysIII and 3BSD code on TUHS (from early 80 and late 79 > respectively) the stabs format is more developed. For SysIII it is ‘VAX > only’. With these roots, it is not surprising that it is also in 8th > Edition. > > > Two questions: > > (1) According to Wikipedia the original author of the stabs format is > unknown. It also says that the original author of ‘sdb’ is unknown. Is that > correct, is the author really unknown? > > (2) As far as I can tell, the ’sdb’ debugger was never back ported to 16 > bit Unix, not in the SysIII line and not in the 2.xBSD line. It would seem > to me that the simple stabs format of 32V would have lent itself to being > back ported. Is it correct that no PDP11 Unix used (a simple) stabs tool > chain and debugger? > > > >