The mention of a YP server that scales to the entire world reminds me of my time at Lehman Bros. (yes, evil incarnate) in Tokyo, 1995-96. They were using moira which I believe was from Project Athena, to push out YP maps to all their sites around the world. I have a feeling there were ex-MIT people at Lehman in New York. On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 7:09 AM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 11:38:50AM -0700, arnold@skeeve.com wrote: > > Larry McVoy wrote: > > > > > OK, found some slides: > > > > > > http://mcvoy.com/lm/papers/lamed.pdf > > > > That was quite interesting!! Very impressive. Did the reference > > port ever get contributed to Linux? It looks like a nice architecture. > > Yeah, it was sort of overkill for the problem space, but it seemed > like the right answer. Very much inspired by the vnode/vfs interface > I learned in SunOS. > > The caches worked across reboots. I left not long after we completed 1.0, > Bob Mende (RIP) and some other folks took the mmap based dbm (I called > mdbm) and put locks in each page so you could have multiple writers. > That code made its way to yahoo and just got used for everything, they > made it C++ (not a fan of that but whatever) and evolved it farther than > I ever imagined. They had DBs that were 100's of gigs ~20 years ago. > They open sourced their stuff. > > I'm not sure if SGI ever open sourced it, be a shame if they didn't. > Though the need for a YP server that scales to the entire world is > not so clear to me. But you could do it. >