The splitting you talk about came about because of the Blit, one part of a program running on the host, the 'graphical' part on the terminal, i.e., the Blit; the two parts communicated with a simple protocol, an example of which you can see in 'sam'. 'Cip', 'proof', 'jim', 'sam' and 'pi' (really, 'pads'), followed this model. It wasn't necessary I think with all programs, and I'm sure 'icon', the bitmap editor, didn't. If you look in the various Blit/Jerq source directories in the distributions you will see programs with a 'host' and 'term' subdirectory. On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 6:18 PM wrote: > Thanks for the link. I skimmed it and will read it later. > > What struck me was the splitting of the editor into front and back ends > that did not have to be on the same machine. Rob Pike used that design > for "sam" somewhat later. I wonder if he got the idea from 's' or came > up with it on his own... (Dough, thoughts?) > > Thanks, > > Arnold > > Will Senn wrote: > > > Hi Arnold, > > > > It was mentioned in the STinP edit discussion, so of course, I had to go > looking! Here's the referenced article by Fraser: > > > > https://archive.org/details/compact-portable-crt > > > > Will > > Sent from my iPhone > > > > > On Jan 30, 2022, at 10:09 AM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote: > > > > > > Will Senn wrote: > > > > > >> Has anyone seen Fraser's original ratfor source for the s editor for > unix on the PDP-11. It was a screen editor front-end built on top of > Software Tools's edit. I've seen a c version, but I'm interested in the 375 > line version :). > > >> > > >> Will > > >> > > >> Sent from my iPhone > > > > > > I've never heard of this. Can you give some background please? > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Arnold >