The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Noel Hunt <noel.hunt@gmail.com>
To: The Unix Heritage Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] C Btrees
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:33:48 +1000	[thread overview]

There is a little known suite of programs, written by Peter Weinberger,
found as 'btree', or 'cbt', in the archives for Eighth and Tenth
Edition.

The code in the Eighth Edition archive seems to be the earliest, and
has fewer utilities than available in the Tenth Edition code. A search
through files shows that it was used by 'road', 'weather' and
'apnews'.

There is an ms file, 'memo', describing the programs, amongst the code,
but an appendix seems to be missing. If anyone knows about this or
where it might be I'd like to get my hands on it.

'Memo' itself is interesting because it's the only troff document I've
seen amongst the reseach papers (excluding Christopher Van Wyk's own
paper of course) that uses 'ideal', in this case, for drawing a
picture depicting B-tree structure.