Thank you Heinz for correcting my poor memory. I don't think we ever met. Using LSX was a fun project. LSX was before DOS and far better than any DOS in my view. Thank you for responding. Ed On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 12:35 PM Heinz Lycklama wrote: > Not true. LSX was developed by yours truly during the mid-70's > while I was at Bell Labs in Murray Hill. See BSTJ July/August 1978, > page 2087-2101. It was developed to support some real-time > features like contiguous files and asynchronous I/O. A number > of groups in Bell Labs used LSX and added device drivers to > support their dedicated applications. > > Western Electric (WE) was responsible for licensing the UNIX system > at the time and only provided source code for the UNIX system for > the PDP11 computer with an MMU for $20K. LSX source code > was not included in this. > > I also developed (actually modified and wrote device drivers for) > a version of the UNIX system that ran on the PDP11/10 computer, > which also did not have an MMU. It could support up to four users. > I believe that the source code for this system (Mini-UNIX) was > provided to some universities by the UNIX Support group at > Bell Labs. WE did not license this. > > I do not believe that WE ever considered licensing a binary > version of LSX or the UNIX System to run on the IBM PC or > any other microcomputer. WE only offered binary licenses > later on, and then only for the PDP11 with an MMU first. > In hindsight, a missed opportunity, but that's another story. > > Doug may be able to offer some insight into this as well. > > Thanks for asking, > > Heinz Lycklama > > On 2/21/2020 2:37 AM, Ed Bradford wrote: > > I also worked with LSX - a stripped down version of Unix that required no > MMU. It worked on a PDP 11/03 and we delivered an LSX product to the > telco's based on LSX. My faulty memory tells me Mike Lesk created LSX. Is > that true? > > Did BTL/AT&T ever try to sell LSX to IBM for its 1981 intro of the IBM PC? > > Ed Bradford, BTL 1976-1983 > Columbus and Whippany > > > -- Advice is judged by results, not by intentions. Cicero