Hay, Arnold, MC 68K was created in 1980 or thereabouts. We talked about 10's of Megahertz, I think, in those times. I was involved (slightly) with the Zilog Z80,000 which would have competed with the 68K, NS32K and the Intel 80386. Of the instruction sets (architectures) I was most happy with, the Zilog 32-bit processor architecture was to me, the most minimalist and thorough. At the time, I managed software development for the Zilog company's Z8000 computers. It was a fun era. I bought a z8000 system and developed a CRAY simulator on it when I left Zilog and went to work for American Supercomputer Company (another interesting Silicon Valley story). The 1980's were a very interesting time in Silicon Valley. One of the saddest stories I recall is when "Eagle Computer" went public. The CEO died on the IPO day after he had become a very rich person when he crashed a Ferrari during a test drive. Eagle Computer died with the CEO. Ed On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 2:59 AM wrote: > The 3B1 had an MC 68010. I don't truly remember how fast the real > system ran. The emulated system seems to run more or less the same as > the hardware did, taking my poor memory into account. > > The 5620 used the same processor as the 3B2, IIRC. There are emulators > for both (maybe done by the same guy, I don't remember). I don't know > of emulators for the 3B5 or 3B20. > > Arnold > > Ed Bradford wrote: > > > It seems to me today's 2GHz processors should be able to emulate a 3B > (*3B > > or not 3B, that is the question*) at a performance that far exceeds an > > actual 3B. Is the instruction set definition and architecture of a 3B > > available anywhere? > > > > Just wondering. I did such emulations for 68K machines and Cray machines. > > > > Ed Bradford ex-BTL, ex Silcon Valley, and ex IBM retiree. > > > > > > On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 2:00 AM wrote: > > > > > emanuel stiebler wrote: > > > > > > > On 2021-01-29 05:49, Arnold Robbins wrote: > > > > > Hello All. > > > > > > > > > > I have made a pre-installed disk image available with a fair amount > > > > > of software, see https://www.skeeve.com/3b1/. > > > > > > > > Thanks for doing & making the disk images, was an easy start! > > > > > > You're welcome. It's a fun side project. I think I finally get the > > > enjoyment of retrocomputing with emulated versions of systems one > > > used in one's youth. :-) > > > > > > > Do you remember, ho to set up the system to have four disk drives? > > > > > > > > Cheers & thanks again! > > > > > > I don't think it can support more than 2 drives. Certainly the emulator > > > cannot. I don't know about real hardware. > > > > > > You can split a big drive into partitions when formatting with the > > > diagnostics disk, but I don't think that's what you're asking. > > > > > > Sorry, > > > > > > Arnold > > > > > > > > > -- > > Advice is judged by results, not by intentions. > > Cicero > -- Advice is judged by results, not by intentions. Cicero