The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Vi Quick Reference card for 4.4 BSD
@ 2024-06-04  4:31 Will Senn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Will Senn @ 2024-06-04  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

Today after trying to decipher the online help for vim and neovim, I
decided I'd had enough and I opted for nvi - the bug for bug vi
compatible that I've used for so long on FreeBSD. It handles cursor
keys, these days (my biggest gripe back when, now I'm not so sure it's
an improvement). It's in-app help pages are about 300 lines long, the
docs are just four of the 4.4 docs: An Introduction to Display Editing
with VI, Edit: A tutorial, EX Reference Manual, and VI-EX Reference
Manual - all very well written and understandable. It does everything I
really need it to do without the million and one extensions and
"enhancements" the others offer.

In doing the docs research, I found many, many references to a "/Vi
Quick Reference card"/ in the various manpages and docs. I googled and
googled some more and of course got thousands of hits (really many
thousands), but I can't seem to find the actual card referenced. I'm
pretty sure what I want to find is a scanned image or pdf of the card
for 4.4bsd.

Do y'all happen to know of where I might find the golden quick ref card
for vi from back in the 4.4bsd days or did it even really exist?

Will