Quoting from David Craddock's book, Dungeon Hacks (2015), pages 34-35: > By the time Toy and Wichman started at UC Santa Cruz, BSD UNIX had entered > widespread usage across UC campuses and was branching out to other schools. > Each new version of BSD, released on cassette tape, included handy programs > written by Joy and other hackers. One program was curses, written by Ken > Arnold. Arnold had written curses according to the UNIX creed: a simple > tool fashioned for a specific purpose. Wielding curses like a paintbrush, > users could place text such as letters, numbers, and symbols at any > location on the screen. The moment he used curses, Toy saw its potential. In 1980, he went to > Wichman and suggested they use curses to create a graphical adventure game > with a twist. Unlike Colossal Cave Adventure and its derivatives, their > game would construct brand new environments and challenges every time. An > avid Dungeons & Dragons player, he invented a fantasy-themed setting and > premise. Players would assume the identity of an adventurer who entered the > Dungeons of Doom, a series of levels filled with monsters and treasure. Wichman loved the idea and dubbed the game Rogue. "I think the name just > came to me. Names needed to be short because you invoked a program by > typing its name in a command line. I liked the idea of a rogue. We were > coming from a Dungeons & Dragons background, but we were creating a > single-player game. You weren't going down into the dungeon with a party. > The idea was that this is a person going off on his or her own. It captured > the theme very succinctly." Apropos of UNIX, Toy chose to write Rogue in the C language. C produced > fast code, while BASIC was slower and meant for smaller programs. Wichman, > still a few steps behind Toy in programming prowess, learned C by watching > Toy program their game. "The early alpha versions of Rogue were probably > all my code, but Glenn [Wichman] made lots of contributions in terms of > design," Toy recalled. "I think it's quite fair to say that the game was a > pretty straight collaboration between Glenn [Wichman], Ken [Arnold], and me > by the time it was done. I feel pretty good about that." Toy and Wichman realized they wouldn't be able to stay at school during all > hours to write their game. Fortunately, they didn't need to. As employees > of the computer science division, they had special lab privileges. Setting > up an ADM-3a terminal in their apartment, they could dial into the VAX > 11/780 shunted off in a basement somewhere at UC Santa Cruz. The connection > was established through their 300-baud modem -- a device that would take > several minutes to transmit the text on an average-length Wikipedia page > today -- enabling them to write the vast majority of Rogue from the comfort > of their apartment. Craddock's notes explain that the quotes of Michael Toy and Glenn Wichman "come from interviews conducted via phone, Skype, and email over 2012-2014." I think you must be right about the first machine being something running BSD UNIX. Matt On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 8:07 PM Dan Cross wrote: > What was the first machine to run rogue? I understand that it was written > by Glenn Wichman and Michael Toy at UC Santa Cruz ca. 1980, using the > `curses` library (Ken Arnold's original, not Mary Ann's rewrite). I've seen > at least one place that indicates it first ran on 6th Edition, but that > doesn't sound right to me. The first reference I can find in BSD is in 2.79 > ("rogue.doc"), which also appears to be the first release to ship curses. > > Anyone have any info? Thanks! > > - Dan C. > >