Awesome! On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 3:53 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > Came across something interesting by chance in the Sixth Edition document > set I recently received. I took the binder to the park for a little light > reading and found myself perusing the C reference manual. As an aside, I > will always appreciate the style of the manual, and I still pick up > something new or see something differently every time I flip the pages. > The introduction includes these paragraphs: > > > Most of the software for the UNIX time-sharing system is written in C, > as is the operating system itself. C is also available on the HIS 6070 > computer at Murray Hill, using a compiler written by A. Snyder and > currently maintained by S. C. Johnson. A compiler for the IBM > System/360/370 series is under construction. > > > > This is a manual only for the C language itself as implemented on the > PDP-11. Hints are given occasionally in the text of > implementation-dependent features, and an appendix summarizes the > differences between the Honeywell and DEC implementations; it also contains > some known bugs in each. > > I didn't think too much of this initially, but then I found myself looking > through some other old documents yesterday evening and found myself reading > the memorandum version of the manual that Dennis linked to on his Bell Labs > usr page: https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/cman74.pdf > > In this version, the paragraphs have been altered and merged: > > > Most of the software for the UNIX time-sharing system is written in C, > as is the operating system itself. C is also available on the HIS 6070 > computer at Murray Hill and and on the IBM System/370 at Holmdel. This > paper is a manual only for the C language itself as implemented on the > PDP-11. However, hints are given occasionally in the text of > implementation-dependent features. > > So between the two, the print document I have here indicates the compiler > for IBM mainframes is still in the works, but by the January 15, 1974 > document, it is noted as complete and in use in Holmdel. Additionally, > this print document mentions an appendix detailing DEC vs. Honeywell > differences and some other bug notes. Unfortunately this appendix doesn't > actually appear to be in the binder, so either it wasn't done yet or was > tossed by a previous owner some time ago. Luckily, this appendix, despite > the reference being dropped, *is* on the cman74 version. > > In any case, upon discovering this, I then spot checked the rest of the > contents of the two by seeing if any paragraphs had strange offsets from > each other or there were noticeable changes in the visual flow. I didn't > read each and every line, instead opting to see if paragraphs still had the > same number of lines, the same "outline" (i.e. lines seem to start, end, > and break pretty much the same), and that pages started and ended the same, > and everything pretty much matched. There may be punctuation changes or > other minor edits, but I didn't see anything indicating major changes in > the language. The only other thing noticeably different is the references > list, with Dennis's cman74 copy containing two extra references mine does > not: "A User's Guide to the C Language on the IBM 370." by T.G. Peterson > and M.E. Lesk, 1974, and "Programming in C- A Tutorial." by B.W. Kernighan, > 1974. The latter is listed as unpublished in cman74. In my copy, aside > from the two omitted references, the reference to the CACM paper does not > have a date, instead just saying "To appear in C. ACM." and "The GCOS C > Library" is listed as an unpublished memorandum with a speculative year of > 1974. > > So all in all, this appears to be a C Reference Manual most likely from > late 1973, or however unlikely, one that was very rapidly published in the > first few weeks of 1974 before the mentioned changes on January 15th of > that year. > > Are there any known copies of the manual that predate this which I can > compare back with, or in any case is this particular revision known and > captured somewhere? If not, it should be trivial to take the sources from > V6 and produce a facsimile copy until it bubbles up in my scanning list > (much ahead of it, got the ROFF manual scanned the other day, hoping to hit > TMG and m6 in the next few.) > > There is also an NROFF manual here that I see referenced in the TOC of the > V6 document set in the source, but don't actually see in files. It is > dated 9/11/74 and is only labeled "NROFF Users' Manual", no TROFF in the > title. It is also noted as the "Second Edition" in the header. This > document makes reference to the "TROFF User's Manual", dated April 1974, > also by Ossanna. Of note too is a "Quick NROFF Addendum" dated 5/19/75 > that is included at the end. > > Finally, a slightly later version of the UNIX summary appears, dated > August, 1975 instead of May, 1975, the date of the one in the V6 sources. > It has minor chnages, most noticeably that the last few pages regarding > NROFF and TROFF stuff have been split into two sections, one with more > NROFF-y stuff and one with more more TROFF-y stuff. > > Anywho, nothing earth shattering here, but at the very least, a couple of > document variants vs. what is currently on the archive. > > - Matt G. > -- End of line JOB TERMINATED Okey Dokey OK Boss