The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] MRS database software ca. 1979
@ 2018-04-20  1:24 Dennis Boone
From: Dennis Boone @ 2018-04-20  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know if UToronto's MRS database system (from about 1979) has
survived?  It was described in:

Robert Hudyma, John Kornatowski, Ivor Ladd.  MRS: A microcomputer
database management system.  Proceedings of the 1981 ACM SIGSMALL
symposium on Small systems and SIGMOD workshop on Small database
systems, pp 174-180.

Apparently it was distributed to over 50 unix sites.  This is the
software which became the MISTRESS and later EMPRESS products.

De

* [TUHS] MRS database software ca. 1979
@ 2018-04-20  1:42 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2018-04-20  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anyone know if UToronto's MRS database system (from about 1979) has
> survived?
[...]
> Apparently it was distributed to over 50 unix sites.  This is the
> software which became the MISTRESS and later EMPRESS products.

Memories of running Mistress/Empress under CTIX come flooding back ...

Back in the day (circa 1987) I recall Henry Spencer was going out with a
woman who worked at Rhodnius (what that the name? it's been a while) on
the commercial product.  While Henry has vanished from the face of the
Earth (it seems), Geoff Collyer might recall who she was, or maybe have
pointers/links to others who worked on the code.

--lyndon

* [TUHS] MRS database software ca. 1979
@ 2018-04-20  7:49   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-04-20  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> While Henry has vanished from the face of the Earth (it seems),

He's still alive and well; at hspencer at utias-sfl.net if anyone
needs to find him. His zoo.utoronto.ca address is gone for good, though.

Arnold

* [TUHS] MRS database software ca. 1979
@ 2018-04-20  8:00     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-04-20  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> He's still alive and well; at hspencer at utias-sfl.net if anyone needs to
> find him. His zoo.utoronto.ca address is gone for good, though.

So he's still at U Toronto, then?  I met him once, when he was in Sydney
visiting his sister[*], and he was a thoroughly nice chap.

[*]
You knocked on the door, and were asked for a password (which to my
knowledge was never distributed!); I responded with "SunOS-ish (adj):
requiring 32-bit bug numbers" and was granted admittance :-)

* [TUHS] MRS database software ca. 1979
@ 2018-04-20 18:39     ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2018-04-20 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20/04/2018, arnold at skeeve.com <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:
> Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:
>
>> While Henry has vanished from the face of the Earth (it seems),
>
> He's still alive and well; at hspencer at utias-sfl.net if anyone
> needs to find him. His zoo.utoronto.ca address is gone for good, though.

(Sigh)  I regret never going over to meet him when I was a grad
student at Toronto.  Zoo was the next building over.  I knew of him
but it never happened.

N.

* [TUHS] MRS database software ca. 1979
@ 2018-04-20 18:42       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-04-20 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 02:39:53PM -0400, Nemo wrote:
> On 20/04/2018, arnold at skeeve.com <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:
> > Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> While Henry has vanished from the face of the Earth (it seems),
> >
> > He's still alive and well; at hspencer at utias-sfl.net if anyone
> > needs to find him. His zoo.utoronto.ca address is gone for good, though.

What's he up to?