The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Grace Hopper and J.F.Ossana!
@ 2018-12-10  1:56 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-12-10  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Augusta Ada King-Noel, Countess of Lovelace (and daughter of Lord Byron),
was born on this day in 1815; arguably the world's first computer
programmer and a highly independent woman, she saw the potential in
Charles Babbage's new-fangled invention.

J.F.Ossanna was given unto us on this day in 1928; a prolific programmer,
he not only had a hand in developing Unix but also gave us the ROFF
series.

Who'ld've thought that two computer greats would share the same birthday?

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Happy birthday, Grace Hopper and J.F.Ossana!
@ 2018-12-10  2:22 ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2018-12-10  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On 09/12/2018, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote (in part):

> Who'ld've thought that two computer greats would share the same birthday?

Are there at least 23 computer greats?

@ 2017-12-11  5:49 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-12-11  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017, Rudi Blom wrote:

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_scientists

> Anyone on TUHS who made the list?

I've seen Ken Thompson post a few times...  Well, somebody using that
name, anyway :-)

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Grace Hopper and J.F.Ossana!
@ 2017-12-11  4:59 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2017-12-11  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone on TUHS who made the list?

Greeting from your Dutch uncle rubl
For all the sound advise you don't want to hear.

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 13:23:13 +1100 (EST)
From: Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs at tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Happy birthday, Grace Hopper and J.F.Ossana!

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

>> Yeah, but all the same, two famous people in the same industry would
>> surely lengthen the odds somewhat...
>
> Yeah, you're pulling my leg.  :-)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_scientists

OK, it was worth a try :-)  (I'm a born stirrer, and I blame my parents
for that.)

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Grace Hopper and J.F.Ossana!
@ 2017-12-10  2:23       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-12-10  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-12-09 23:37     ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2017-12-09 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Grace Hopper and J.F.Ossana!
@ 2017-12-09 23:33   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-12-09 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-12-09 23:08 ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2017-12-09 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)