The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] where did the term daemon come from?
@ 2018-06-07 22:47 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2018-06-07 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

someone asked me today, and I only remember using that term in 1975 but
can't recall the origin.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] where did the term daemon come from?
@ 2018-06-07 23:05 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2018-06-07 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

See this long thread
https://minnie.tuhs.org//pipermail/tuhs/2018-March/thread.html#13142

Sorry the thread is long, but some of it tells us where it comes from.

(It predates Unix. http://multicians.org/mgd.html )

* [TUHS] where did the term daemon come from?
@ 2018-06-08  1:54   ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2018-06-08  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/06/2018, Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:
> See this long thread
> https://minnie.tuhs.org//pipermail/tuhs/2018-March/thread.html#13142
>
> Sorry the thread is long, but some of it tells us where it comes from.
>
> (It predates Unix. http://multicians.org/mgd.html )

And speaking of daemons, does anyone know the origin of that
photograph on the Web showing someone in priestly garb shaking an
aspergillum at a row of servers with the caption "Daemon Stop!".

N.