The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Okistations and OKIX?
@ 2020-06-28 22:39 Aaron J. Grier
From: Aaron J. Grier @ 2020-06-28 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Anybody on the list know much about the provenance of SVr4 and OKIX for the
Okistation 7300 model 30?

http://museum.ipsj.or.jp/en/computer/work/0029.html indicates that OKIX
came later on the model 75, but many years ago as a staff programmer at
Oregon Graduate Institute, a surplus 7300/30 followed me home, but the
sysadmins referred to it as OKIX.

if anybody's interested in the hardware to do some spelunking, email me
off-list.

  "The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity.  It
   is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay."  -- Tony Hoare

* Re: [TUHS] Okistations and OKIX?
@ 2020-06-28 23:41 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2020-06-28 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron J. Grier, tuhs

Huh, that's a trip down memory lane.  I didn't have that one but the first
PC I ever owned was a CP/M machine made by the same company.  Marketed in
this country under the BMC name but it was made by Oki.

2nd one down here:

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/miscpm/index.htm

I took out a $2000 loan and bought it in 1984 or 1985 because the
alternative was a VAX 11/780 that had about 30-40 people trying to
compile their projects at the same time.  I believe it had 4M of
ram, definitely not enough for the load.

You'd think a 64K z80 with floppies would be a down grade, it was not,
the performance was predictable, I didn't get swapped out for minutes,
it was always working just for me.

I wrote a _ton_ of code on that machine.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 03:39:55PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> Anybody on the list know much about the provenance of SVr4 and OKIX for the
> Okistation 7300 model 30?
>
> http://museum.ipsj.or.jp/en/computer/work/0029.html indicates that OKIX
> came later on the model 75, but many years ago as a staff programmer at
> Oregon Graduate Institute, a surplus 7300/30 followed me home, but the
> sysadmins referred to it as OKIX.
>
> if anybody's interested in the hardware to do some spelunking, email me
> off-list.
>
> --
>   Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofygoof.com
>   "The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity.  It
>    is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay."  -- Tony Hoare

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Okistations and OKIX?
@ 2020-06-29  0:35   ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2020-06-29  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs

On 28/06/2020, Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
> Huh, that's a trip down memory lane.  I didn't have that one but the first
> PC I ever owned was a CP/M machine made by the same company.  Marketed in
> this country under the BMC name but it was made by Oki.
>
> 2nd one down here:
>
> http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/miscpm/index.htm
>
> I took out a $2000 loan and bought it in 1984 or 1985 because the
> alternative was a VAX 11/780 that had about 30-40 people trying to
> compile their projects at the same time.  I believe it had 4M of
> ram, definitely not enough for the load.
>
> You'd think a 64K z80 with floppies would be a down grade, it was not,
> the performance was predictable, I didn't get swapped out for minutes,
> it was always working just for me.
>
> I wrote a _ton_ of code on that machine.

What did you write, I mean, what were your development tools?

N.