I have an account on a school system that uses them. On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 10:49 AM John P. Linderman wrote: > We used them in an AT&T Labs research environment. The intent was less to > prevent users from selfishly grabbing (then semi-precious) disk space but > to prevent accidents from adversely affecting the user community at large. > If you *knew* you were going to need honking amounts of disk, the > sysadmins would raise the quota (probably on a partition dedicated to such > activities). > > On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 10:40 AM Theodore Ts'o wrote: > >> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 06:49:05AM -0700, David wrote: >> > I think it was BSD 4.1 that added quotas to the disk system, and I >> > was just wondering if anyone ever used them, in academia or >> > industry. As a user and an admin I never used this and, while I >> > thought it was interesting, just figured that the users would sort >> > it out amongst themselves. Which they mostly did. >> > >> > So, anyone ever use this feature? >> >> Back when MIT Project Athena was using Vax/750's as time sharing >> machines (before the advent of the MicroVax II workstations and AFS), >> students were assigned to a Vax 750, and were given a quota of I think >> a megabyte, at least initially. It could be increased by applying to >> the user accounts office. Given that there were roughly 4,000 >> undergraduates sharing 5 or 6 Vax/750's, it was somewhat understandable... >> >> - Ted >> >