You're quite right about the religious error messages. I used MetaWare High C under DOS briefly, comparing it to Turbo C and Watcom. (Watcom won.) It had extensions to C, such as a coroutine-ish 'yield' keyword. On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 9:20 AM Dan Cross wrote: > On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 8:07 AM Brad Spencer > wrote: > >> For a brief time a long time ago, I used a 4.3BSD based Mt. Xinu, MACH >> microkernel, OS on the IBM-RT as an alternative to AOS. Ran well >> enough, but was disk and memory constrained. We had source to much of >> the system (or perhaps all of it, don't remember), but I seem to recall >> that compiling it was a big pain. Something like you had to use a >> specific compiler (perhaps referred to as High C?? hc command perhaps) >> to compile some of the source. gcc had a backend for the ROMP >> processor, but it had a hard time making usable binaries. I think that >> some variation of pcc was the usual compiler. I remember it being >> pretty stock 4.3BSD with NFS and minus YP/NIS. We used them mostly as X >> terminal workstations. >> > > "High C" (or perhaps "Hi C"? It's been a while...) was the name of the > system compiler on AOS; I thought it was installed as `cc`. I don't recall > a pcc-derived compiler, but apparently such a thing did exist and some > documentation says that High C was installed as `hc`, so my memory may be > off. This old post describes RT compilers: > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt/u7DUwY5U9kQ/uVqLP9FhqMEJ > > Hi-C was sort of an odd compiler. I gather IBM outsourced the development > of it to some third party (MetaWare) which was founded by very religious > people, and I have a vague memory of some of the documentation or perhaps > even error messages making biblical references. > > The kernel had to be built with High C, if I recall correctly, though GCC > worked OK for producing userspace binaries. I don't recall what the bug > was, but it was eventually found and fixed. Perhaps it had to do with > incomplete register saves on function entry interacting poorly with > interrupts or something. > > Some RT enthusiasts kept those machines running well beyond their prime. > Why? I'm not entirely sure; as you say, they were memory and disk > constrained. They were also very slow. Anyway, I have some vague > recollection that at some point the bug in the compiler was fixed so that > GCC could produce a working kernel; nascent NetBSD and OpenBSD ports were > planned, but I don't think they ever went anywhere. > https://www.openbsd.org/romp.html exists, though I don't know that the > NetBSD people ever got beyond the talking stage. The OpenBSD-romp mailing > list had some interesting information, but I can't find archives anymore. > > Oh well. The RT was an interesting footnote in the history of computing, > but it seems that, as a workstation, it was too little too late by the time > it actually hit the market. Had they released it a few years earlier? > Perhaps they could have cornered the market. > > - Dan C. > > >