The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-13 23:41 Royce Williams
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Royce Williams @ 2021-01-13 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Congratulations to Ken Thompson, the newly-minted ACM Fellow:

https://awards.acm.org/award_winners/thompson_4588371

(It seemed of historical interest, and therefore on-topic. :) )

--
Royce

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-13 23:44 ` Deborah K Scherrer
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Deborah K Scherrer @ 2021-01-13 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Congratulations, Ken.  Well deserved!
Deborah

On 1/13/21 3:41 PM, Royce Williams wrote:
> Congratulations to Ken Thompson, the newly-minted ACM Fellow:
>
> https://awards.acm.org/award_winners/thompson_4588371
>
> (It seemed of historical interest, and therefore on-topic. :) )
>
> --
> Royce

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-14  4:59 ` Dave Horsfall
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-01-14  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021, Royce Williams wrote:

> Congratulations to Ken Thompson, the newly-minted ACM Fellow:
>
> https://awards.acm.org/award_winners/thompson_4588371
> (It seemed of historical interest, and therefore on-topic. :) )

Congratubloodylations, as we say down-under; it is well-deserved.
Without Unix I'd probably still be supporting RSX-11 and VMS etc; their
foray into Unix (Eunice) was doomed.

An exchange with my then boss:

     Me: "Eunice makes VMS look civilised".

     He: "You mean it looks like Unix".

     Me: "That's what I said".

As you can imagine the conversation went downhill from there :-)

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-14  7:12   ` Robert Brockway
From: Robert Brockway @ 2021-01-14  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> As you can imagine the conversation went downhill from there :-)

I'm sure it's been seen before but I think it's timely...

https://dilbert.com/strip/1993-11-09

And congratulations Ken.  If only everyone knew how Unix has changed the
world...

Rob

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-14  9:50 ` Thomas Paulsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Paulsen @ 2021-01-14  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Royce Williams; +Cc: tuhs

* [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-14 13:21 ` Jim Capp
From: Jim Capp @ 2021-01-14 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Ken,

Congratulations on becoming an ACM Fellow! It gives me a little more respect for ACM :-)

Cheers,

Jim

Congratulations to Ken Thompson, the newly-minted ACM Fellow:

https://awards.acm.org/award_winners/thompson_4588371

(It seemed of historical interest, and therefore on-topic. :) )

--
Royce

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-14 14:20 ` Niklas Karlsson
From: Niklas Karlsson @ 2021-01-14 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Congratulations, Ken! Well deserved.

Best regards,
Niklas

Den tors 14 jan. 2021 kl 00:43 skrev Royce Williams <royce@techsolvency.com

@ 2021-01-14 15:19   ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2021-01-14 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Capp; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Jim Capp wrote in
 <8225455.9789.1610630513672.JavaMail.root@zimbraanteil>:
 |Congratulations on becoming an ACM Fellow! It gives me a little more \
 |respect for ACM :-)

Wonderful.  Laughter.

--steffen

@ 2021-01-14 21:27     ` Ken Thompson
From: Ken Thompson @ 2021-01-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Capp, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

thank you.

@ 2021-01-14 22:22   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-01-14 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:00 AM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> Congratubloodylations, as we say down-under; it is well-deserved.
> Without Unix I'd probably still be supporting RSX-11 and VMS etc; their
> foray into Unix (Eunice) was doomed.

Whose foray?  Not DEC's.  Eunice was built at SRI and sold by the
Wollongong Group, who must have had Downundrian connections.  I was always
very happy with it, as I am with Cygwin today.  Ultrix, on the other hand,
was DEC's: a BSD with SysV hacks, as opposed to Solaris which was the other
way around.

The Dilbert strip probably explains why everyone who could, wore beards in
those days.  Just to prevent that mistake.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
Being understandable rather than obscurantist poses certain
risks, in that one's opinions are clear and therefore falsifiable
in the light of new data, but it has the advantage of encouraging
feedback from others.  --James A. Matisoff

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-14 22:35     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-01-14 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, Robert Brockway wrote:

> I'm sure it's been seen before but I think it's timely...
>
> https://dilbert.com/strip/1993-11-09

Oh dear...

> And congratulations Ken.  If only everyone knew how Unix has changed the
> world...

Indeed!

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-14 22:57       ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2021-01-14 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Thompson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Ken Thompson wrote in
 <CAMP=X_m09p6yhoqFJg7rxf_7ydkZNyVB3HJ6so=4Z6yNO_1rsA@mail.gmail.com>:
 |On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:20 AM Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu> \
 |wrote:
 |> Jim Capp wrote in
 |>  <8225455.9789.1610630513672.JavaMail.root@zimbraanteil>:
 |>|Congratulations on becoming an ACM Fellow! It gives me a little more \
 |>|respect for ACM :-)
 |>
 |> Wonderful.  Laughter.

 |thank you.

This surely is a mountainful of all in return (Mr. Ken Thompson).

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-15  4:26 ` Ed Bradford
From: Ed Bradford @ 2021-01-15  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Royce Williams; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Congratulations Ken Thompson. 127 was an inspiration to all us
old time BTL folks. In my view this award is long overdue.

Go well and stay well.

Ed

--
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.
  Cicero

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-15 20:14     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-01-15 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, John Cowan wrote:

> > Congratubloodylations, as we say down-under; it is well-deserved.
> >
> > Without Unix I'd probably still be supporting RSX-11 and VMS etc;
> > their foray into Unix (Eunice) was doomed.
>
> Whose foray?  Not DEC's.  Eunice was built at SRI and sold by the
> Wollongong Group, who must have had Downundrian connections.  I was
> always very happy with it, as I am with Cygwin today.  Ultrix, on the
> other hand, was DEC's: a BSD with SysV hacks, as opposed to Solaris
> which was the other way around.

I have alternative facts :-)

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunice_(software)

``Eunice was a Unix-like working environment for VAX computers
   running DEC's VAX/VMS, based on the BSD version of Unix. It was
   originally developed ca. 1981 by David Kashtan at SRI[1] and later
   maintained and marketed by The Wollongong Group.''

> The Dilbert strip probably explains why everyone who could, wore beards
> in those days.  Just to prevent that mistake.

At one place I worked, every Unix bod sported facial fungus; it must be a
Unix thing...

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-15 22:17       ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-01-15 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> > Whose foray?  Not DEC's.  Eunice was built at SRI and sold by the
> > Wollongong Group, who must have had Downundrian connections.
>

>  It was
> originally developed ca. 1981 by David Kashtan at SRI[1] and later
> maintained and marketed by The Wollongong Group.''

Where's the disagreement?

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-16  2:29         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2021-01-16  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Cowan; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:18 PM John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:
>

>> > Whose foray?  Not DEC's.  Eunice was built at SRI and sold by the
>> > Wollongong Group, who must have had Downundrian connections.
>>

>>  It was
>> originally developed ca. 1981 by David Kashtan at SRI[1] and later
>> maintained and marketed by The Wollongong Group.''
>>

> Where's the disagreement?

Eunice post-dated DEC's first Unix offering by several years. They sold V7
and later V7M before rebranding it to Ultrix. Eunice was 4.1BSD (later 4.2
and 4.3) that Dr  Kashtan grafted into VMS in ways that... provoke strong
feelings among reviewers...  The TCP/IP stack that was inside of Eunice
would form the basis for Wollongong's TCP/IP offerings on VMS... A more
refined version, also done I think by Kashtan, was marketed by TGV and
there was always much rivalry between the two companies...

Wollongong got its license because they were the marketing company formed
to market Dr. Miller's port to Interdata, and they later branched out
significantly because their license was so special...  Or at least that's
the story they told customers and internally... I never saw the original
license to know...

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-17 22:19         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-01-17 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021, John Cowan wrote (and somehow mangled the formatting)::

> >     > Whose foray?  Not DEC's.  Eunice was built at SRI and sold by
> >     the
> >     > Wollongong Group, who must have had Downundrian connections.
>

> >      It was
> >     originally developed ca. 1981 by David Kashtan at SRI[1] and
> >     later
> >     maintained and marketed by The Wollongong Group.''
>
> Where's the disagreement?

You appeared to disagree with my (joking) observation that Eunice made VMS
look civilised, as though Eunice was never designed for it (I have the
thread archived somewhere).

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
@ 2021-01-19 22:29           ` Heinz Lycklama
From: Heinz Lycklama @ 2021-01-19 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

INTERACTIVE Systems Corp. (ISC) also ported a UNIX system to an
early VAX 750 computer running DEC's VMS operating system
starting in mid- 1978. ISC was in the business of porting the
UNIX operating system to many different computer hardware
architectures, mini-computers to mainframes, but the first
complete UNIX system port was actually done to the DEC VMS
system. We delivered the first UNIX on VMS system to a customer
in the Fall of 1979.  Many of these systems were delivered to
customers in North America as well as in Europe well into
the mid-1980's.

Heinz

@ 2021-01-19 22:33             ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2021-01-19 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: heinz; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 3:30 PM Heinz Lycklama <heinz@osta.com> wrote:

> INTERACTIVE Systems Corp. (ISC) also ported a UNIX system to an
> early VAX 750 computer running DEC's VMS operating system
> starting in mid- 1978. ISC was in the business of porting the
> UNIX operating system to many different computer hardware
> architectures, mini-computers to mainframes, but the first
> complete UNIX system port was actually done to the DEC VMS
> system. We delivered the first UNIX on VMS system to a customer
> in the Fall of 1979.  Many of these systems were delivered to
> customers in North America as well as in Europe well into
> the mid-1980's.

What relationship, if any, does this have to V32? Or maybe "Was that based
on V7 or V32?" is the right question...

Also, this wasn't something that I had on my list... Any chance there's a
paper / article / etc on this?

And thank you for your remembrance...

Warner

@ 2021-01-20  5:21               ` Heinz Lycklama