The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] History of the UNIX Beard
@ 2020-12-18 13:56 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2020-12-18 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Tyler Adams

    > We all know and love the UNIX beard, but I can't find anything on how
    > the beards started other than an old photo of Ken and Dennis

I'm not sure the term is Unix-specific. At a fairly early stage, people who
worked on the ARPANET/Internet (when PDP-10's were still the 'usual' host, and
Unix systems were just starting to beceome common) were jokingly known as
'network grey-beards': the prototypical one being Jon Postel. (Vint Verf's
beard was too tidy to qualify, IIRC!)

      Noel

* [TUHS] History of the UNIX Beard
@ 2020-12-18 12:28 Tyler Adams