On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 6:25 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > Hello, my studies lately bring me to the question: Are there any extant > examples of telephone switching software, built on UNIX, from the various > parts of the Bell System prior to the introduction of the 5ESS and 3B20D? > My focus veers earlier as some 5ESS/3B20D/DMERT technology is still in > active use, that sleeping dragon can lie. > Your best bet may be to contact Sarah Autumn at the Connections Museum, they have a 1ESS and 3ESS. http://www.telcomhistory.org/connections-museum-seattle-exhibits/electronic-switching/ I don't remember if they have the 1A variant but they should have the BSPs for all of this which would give you a lot of what you are after. > What's gotten me curious is reading about 1ESS in a BSTJ volume I picked > up, noting the particulars on how previous concerns of manual and > electro-mechanical systems were abstracted into software. Even without > surviving examples, were previous systems such as the 1ESS central control > ever ported to or considered for porting to UNIX, or was the hardware > interface to the telco lines too specific to consider a future swap-out > with, say, a PDP11 running arbitrary software? Columbus's SCCS (switching, > not source code) also comes to mind, although all I know that survives of > that is the CB-UNIX 2.3 manual descriptions of bits and pieces. > > By the way, it's funny, I have UNIX to thank for my current experiments > with telephones and other signalling stuff, what with making me study the > Bell System more generally. It's starting to come full circle in that I > want to take a crack at reading dialing, at least pulse, into some sort of > software abstraction on a SBC that can, among other things, provide a > switching service on top of a UNIX-like kernel. I don't know what I'd do > with such a thing other than assign work conference call rooms their own > phone numbers to dial with a telephone on a serial line...but if I can even > get that far I'd call it a success. One less dependency on the mobile... > > - Matt G. >