The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] X Windows System Design Principles, a lecture by Jim Gettys
@ 2023-02-24  0:10 Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2023-02-24  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdmNHM9BKY0

* [TUHS] Re: X Windows System Design Principles, a lecture by Jim Gettys
@ 2023-02-24  0:23 ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2023-02-24  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2/23/23 6:10 PM, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdmNHM9BKY0
Nice. It's fun to see the dual monitor CRT setup - gives me flashbacks
to when I dropped on on my leg. Thankfully, we're doing LEDs and whatnot
these days, no big whoop dropping them on your leg and the missing
laserbeams gotta be healthier. Thanks for the timely post. I've been
studying X of late and was wondering what a Dec windows setup looked
like compared to Motif and twm which are available still. I remember
liking Sun's WM, but it's been ages (1995-1996) since I used it. I see
he was rockin' the fuschia yuck, techies shouldn't be allowed to set
colors. I don't think the Sun had color, or if it did, it was pretty
tame - shades of muted tones or something.

-will

* [TUHS] Re: X Windows System Design Principles, a lecture by Jim Gettys
@ 2023-02-24  6:01 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2023-02-24  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Speaking of which, I recently made a VAXstation 100 emulator.  Jim
Gettys caught wind of it and says he has an archive of old X versions,
and he'd like to see them run on the emulator.  So far, the oldest
available online is X10R3.

Quick recap of X prehistory: Stanford's VGTS on V -> W on V -> W ported
to VS100 at DEC -> W adopted by CLU group at MIT -> W hacked into X ->
X adpoted by Project Athena -> X adopted by DEC and workstation vendors.