The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
To: heinz@osta.com
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Known Specimens of Pre-5ESS UNIX Telephone Switching Software?
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 23:52:24 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 7:46 PM Heinz Lycklama <heinz@osta.com> wrote:

> To answer Jon's following question (2 minutes later):
> ________________________________
> Oh yeah, and I think that this is why Heinz wrote MERT,
> but he should know more than me about it.
> ________________________________
> Yes, my Dept. in MH was involved in the early days of digital switching
> and the need for real-time response was certainly recognized.
> But MERT was not developed with a specific telephony project in mind.
> I was mostly involved in software in support of current projects
> being done in the Dept. We started the MERT project at the
> time that DEC announced their PDP-11/45 mini-computer in
> the early 1970's because it supported 3 separate address
> spaces - system, supervisor, and user. This enabled us to
> run operating system environments with different user
> application program needs, specifically real-time under
> control of one supervisor and time-sharing applications
> in another supervisor, to start with. Hence its name -
> Multi-Environment Real Time (MERT). Once we had MERT up
> and running on the PDP-11/45 and PDP-11/70 computers, some
> projects in other Bell Labs locations involved in telephony projects
> started building their projects on the MERT system. The
> DMERT system was developed later on by projects at yet
> another Bell Labs location.

I don't have access to IEEE but there is a paper on MERT
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6770410.  The 3B20D and DMERT are
also cronicaled in the BSTJ, I have hard copies of that but it should
be on IEEE.

There is a lot of detail on the 3B20D and 3B21D in the 254 BSPs as
well as some coverage of UNIX RTR
https://www.telecomarchive.com/plant-all.html.

There is more coverage of the 3B20 elsewhere, for instance
https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/1500412.1500418.  Wing N. Toy, one
of the hardware engineers, published some nice books that tangentially
touch on these designs but contain a lot of great microcoding
knowledge.

Regards,
Kevin